College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Army ROTC
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of History
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Prelaw Advising
- School of Communication
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Department of English
- Department of Political Science
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
Sociology: Studying People, Society & Cultures
Michelle Robertson '18
"Sociology makes for a great major because it provides us with the critical thinking we need for everyday life. Sociology is everywhere and can be applied to everything."
Robertson is now a Justice System Navigator at Women’s Resource Center of the New River Valley.
Amanda Burroughs '19
"Sociology is the most useful and versatile major a student can pick. The knowledge and skills you gain from studying Sociology are applicable to many fields and disciplines."
Burroughs is a currently a graduate student in sociology at Virginia Tech.
Bianca Dickerson '16
"Having a Sociology background made it easier for me to explain social inequality and cultural and social differences. It taught me to be mindful of everyone’s situation."
Dickerson is a Quality and Training Specialist at the Council of Community Services in Roanoke.
About the Department
It can be said that the first wisdom of Sociology is this--things are not what they seem."
Sociology focuses on understanding the social and cultural aspects of human behavior at the local, national and global levels. At Radford University, we offer a major and minor in Sociology. See a short ASA-produced video of sociologists speaking on Sociology.
News & Events
Two panels serve up valuable advice on graduate school and career paths
Radford Sociology wins William Julius Wilson Award
Dr. Prince and Dr. Wisecup appear as part of the COVID-19 panel series.
Dr. Bodenhamer publishes on Black Lung
Department of Sociology Statement on Black Lives Matter
ASA Issues Statement on Police Killing of George Floyd
The Department of Sociology's Program in Public Sociology is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS).