College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of Political Science
- School of Communication
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of History
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of English
- SMART Lab
- Interdisciplinary Humanities Research Lab
Sociology: Studying People, Society & Cultures
Michelle Robertson '18
"Sociology makes for a great major because it provides us with the critical thinking we need for everyday life. Sociology is everywhere and can be applied to everything."
Robertson is now a Justice System Navigator at Women’s Resource Center of the New River Valley.
Amanda Burroughs '19
"Sociology is the most useful and versatile major a student can pick. The knowledge and skills you gain from studying Sociology are applicable to many fields and disciplines."
Burroughs is a currently a graduate student in sociology at Virginia Tech.
Bianca Dickerson '16
"Having a Sociology background made it easier for me to explain social inequality and cultural and social differences. It taught me to be mindful of everyone’s situation."
Dickerson is a Quality and Training Specialist at the Council of Community Services in Roanoke.
About the Department
It can be said that the first wisdom of Sociology is this--things are not what they seem."
Sociology focuses on understanding the social and cultural aspects of human behavior at the local, national and global levels. At Radford University, we offer a major and minor in Sociology. See a short ASA-produced video of sociologists speaking on Sociology.
News & Events
Dr. Bodenhamer to represent CHBS as Leadership Fellow
Congratulations 2020 graduates!
Congratulations spring 2021 graduates!
A week in the life of the Sociolgy Department
Dr. Smith presents on White Empathy
Congratulations to the Fall 2020 graduates!