College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Women's & Gender Studies
- School of Communication
- Interdisciplinary Humanities Research Lab
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of English
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- SMART Lab
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
Sociology: Studying People, Society & Cultures
Michelle Robertson '18
"Sociology makes for a great major because it provides us with the critical thinking we need for everyday life. Sociology is everywhere and can be applied to everything."
Robertson is now a Justice System Navigator at Women’s Resource Center of the New River Valley.
Amanda Burroughs '19
"Sociology is the most useful and versatile major a student can pick. The knowledge and skills you gain from studying Sociology are applicable to many fields and disciplines."
Burroughs is a currently a graduate student in sociology at Virginia Tech.
Bianca Dickerson '16
"Having a Sociology background made it easier for me to explain social inequality and cultural and social differences. It taught me to be mindful of everyone’s situation."
Dickerson is a Quality and Training Specialist at the Council of Community Services in Roanoke.
About the Department
It can be said that the first wisdom of Sociology is this--things are not what they seem."
Sociology focuses on understanding the social and cultural aspects of human behavior at the local, national and global levels. At Radford University, we offer a major and minor in Sociology. The Sociology Major and the Sociology Minor each fulfill the Cultural and Behavioral Analysis (A) area in the REAL Curriculum. See a short ASA-produced video of sociologists speaking on Sociology.
News & Events
Congratulations 2022 graduates!
Annual awards ceremony returns to f2f
Students presented their work at the annual Student Engagement Forum
Sociology students engaged in historical preservation
Congratulations to the Fall 2021 graduates!
CSCR Fall Speaker Series concludes