Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

1.  Is your program accredited by the APA?

  • No, because the APA only accredits doctoral level programs; it does not accredit Masters level programs.


2.  What is the difference between the M.A. degree and the M.S. degree?

  • The only distinction between these two degrees is that the M.A. requires students to complete a thesis whereas the M.S. does not.


3.  Can I still apply to the program if I was not a Psychology major?

  • Yes, so long as you have completed a minimum of 18 semester hours of undergraduate psychology coursework.


4.  Do you have any graduate assistantships and if so, how do I apply?

  • Yes, a variety of assistantships are available and are awarded on a competitive basis. Students who receive an assistantship may be assigned to work as a Teaching Assistant for one of our laboratory classes, as a Research Assistant with a given faculty member, or as an Administrative Assistant in one of the offices on campus. To apply for an assistantship, please go to the website for the Radford University College of Graduate Studies and Research ( You will be notified by the department if you have been awarded an assistantship.


5.  What types of internships are available?

  • Numerous internship sites are available in a variety of settings including regional community services boards, private psychiatric hospitals, substance abuse facilities, crisis stabilization facilities, correctional facilities, women’s resource centers/domestic violence shelters, a state hospital, a medical hospital or neurological rehabilitation center. While some students select an internship placement which will expose them to a broad range of clients with diverse sets of problems, others opt to work with more specialized target populations including individuals who are children and adolescents, university students, geriatric, substance-abusing, brain injured, and individuals with chronic and severe mental illness.


6.  What types of research experiences are available?

  • All students are required to take Psy 697 (Applied Training in Psychological Research) during their first two semesters in our program. During the second year, some students pursue the M.A. degree which requires completion of a thesis, other students pursue research through a Directed Study project, and others do not pursue any formal extra-curricular research activities. Students may participate in research with clinical, counseling, experimental, school, or industrial/organizational psychology faculty members with whom they share research interests.


7.  What do students usually do after they graduate from your program?

  • It depends. Many obtain positions working in mental health settings such as community mental health centers, substance abuse rehabilitation clinics, domestic violence shelters, correctional facilities and hospitals. Some of our students seek licensure at the masters level in states where the coursework from the clinical counseling concentration meet their requirements and others pursue further graduate training in counseling, clinical, or other professional schools (e.g., medicine). A substantial number have been accepted into RU’s newly established PsyD program in Counseling Psychology.


8.  Are classes offered in the summer? Do I have to attend summer school?

  • Students often take courses in the summer, especially electives that they can use to complete their hours for licensure requirements. However, students are not required to take courses in the summer.


9.  Can I complete the program through online courses?

  • No.


10.  Can I complete the program as a part-time student?

  • No. Our program is designed as a full-time, two-year program. Given the sequencing of courses, students must enroll as a full time student.  


11.  Can I come to campus for a visit or talk with graduate students in your program?

  • Absolutely, in fact we encourage you to do so. To schedule a visit, contact the program coordinator.