College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
The study of history unveils the complexity of human existence in the past and supplies insight into the present and future. History majors learn not just about the past and its relevance to today, but they also learn to think, write and speak analytically, skills that may be applied in many careers. We invite you to join us on this journey through time. Read more about the Department of History. »
- Why Study History? Watch This. (Video Courtesy of the University of Utah)
- "History is not a Useless Major: Fighting Myths with Data," by Paul Sturtevant
- This Day in History
- American Memory Project
- Turabian Online
News & Announcements
A digital history program is underway in the Department of History with student researchers transcribing the records of the Botetourt County Courthouse and researching the 102nd United States Colored Troops during the Civil War. Check out their work in these ongoing projects.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, the Department of History picked Brock Barnes (History) and Stephanie Seitz (Social Science) for the Dean's Scholars awards.
Amanda Dean and Caitlyn Maloney win McConnell Library Winesett Awards.
Kaleb Cahoon, Nicholas Stephenson and Geoffrey White graduated with Honors in History.
Are you a history major interested in pursuing an internship experience?