College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of Political Science
- School of Communication
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of History
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of English
- SMART Lab
- Interdisciplinary Humanities Research Lab
Dr. Laura Vernon
Laura Vernon is an associate professor of English in the professional and technical writing program. She received her doctorate in the Theory & Practice of Professional Communication at Utah State University (Logan, Utah) in 2013. In 1998, she earned a master’s degree in Professional Communication at Westminster College (Salt Lake City, Utah) shortly after graduating in 1994 from Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism.
At Radford University, Dr. Vernon teaches English 306: Professional Writing, English 406: Topics in Professional Writing, English 407: Professional Editing, English 605: Teaching Professional Writing, English 608: Professional and Technical Writing, English 610: Proposal and Grant Writing, and other courses as assigned. She also coordinates the Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing program.
Dr. Vernon’s research interests include environmental rhetoric, strategic communication, and teaching and learning (pedagogy). Her work includes such topics as environmental advocacy and spiritual ecology, ePortfolios, student reflection and engagement, and professional writing program development and administration.
Before returning to school for her PhD, Dr. Vernon enjoyed a successful 12-year career as a professional communicator. Her background includes writing and editing, public and media relations, organizational and strategic communication, publication and project management, and document design and production in both print and digital formats.