College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Women's & Gender Studies
- School of Communication
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of English
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department Name
Boys and Girls Club of Southwest Virginia
Position Title: Volunteer Social Media Manager
Log into Handshake to search and apply for this position.
Philosophy: The Boys and Girls Club of Southwest Virginia’s mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Purpose and Impact: People will visit the Boys and Girls Club of Southwest Virginia (BGCSWVA) website when they want to get involved and make an impact. However, people seldom visit the website, meaning that our website’s traffic comes from only people who periodically think about our cause. A strong social media presence will keep our organization, events, and causes fresh in people’s head. Not only that, but social media is the best place to extend our PR reach, making us a more popular and desirable nonprofit that local businesses will want to partner with!
Location: Remote, we encourage volunteers to work from home.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Create and publish relevant, original, high-quality content.
- Manage and curate published content (images, video and written).
- Oversee design (ie: Facebook Timeline cover, profile pic, thumbnails, ads, landing pages, Twitter profile, Blog, etc.).
- Manage a publishing schedule.
- Implement a content editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely marketing campaigns.
- Promote BGCSWVA through social advertising.
- Better search engine optimization.
- Generate inbound traffic.
- Conduct online advocacy and open a stream for cross-promotions.
- Develop organizational elements in order to implement a proactive process for capturing happy, loyal customer online reviews.
- Manage efforts in building online reviews and reputation. Monitor online reviews and respond to each review.
- Become an advocate for the company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Monitor trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy.
- Implement ongoing education to remain highly effective.
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the company. Report notable threats to appropriate management.
- Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for revising social media, content marketing, SEO and social advertising campaigns.
- Monitor effective benchmarks (Best Practices) for measuring the impact of social media campaigns. Analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
- Possesses knowledge and experience in the tenets of traditional marketing.
- Demonstrates creativity and documented immersion in social media.
- Proficient in content marketing theory and application.
- Experience sourcing and managing content development and publishing.
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Maintains excellent writing and language skills.
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format.
- Practices superior time management.
- Makes evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics. Highly knowledgeable in the principles of “Search and Social.”
- Demonstrates winning Social Customer Service techniques such as empathy, patience, advocacy and conflict resolution.
- Possesses great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
Measures: Success will be measured in a multitude of ways. Number of quality posts, followers, organizations followed, and webpage traffic to state a few. Criticism will always be constructive and professional. These measures are emplace in order for the volunteer to understand our expectations and act as goals for the volunteer to strive for.
Timeframe: Within 1 month of filling position, the volunteer will present a dynamic social media calendar. Within a week of the calendar being approved, the volunteer will begin to post content and develop social media presence for the following 10 months. Once the position is a month away from ending, volunteers will develop a plan to keep our social media presence sustainable until position is filled again.
Qualifications: Be a freshman, sophomore, and junior communications, journalism, or marketing student in the southwest Virginia area (Virginia Tech, Radford, Roanoke College, etc…).
Time Commitment: In order to create a more sustainable social media presence, we ask that you commit 1 hour a week for 1 year. During this time, we hope that your skill will develop along with our social media presence.
Site and Supervision: Volunteers will be supervised by the volunteer coordinator, Nicholas Hoy. The director of operations, Calvin Curry, will also be available for guidance and supervision.
Benefits: Volunteers will actively help the Boys and Girls Club of Southwest Virginia work towards its mission and causes. All the while, the volunteers will develop professionally during its term of service. Volunteers will gain experience in a developing industry which will be quite valuable after they earn their undergraduate degree. The average salary for a social media manager with 0-1 years of experience is about $44,000. The average salary increases by $4,000 with 1-3 years of experience. This experience, along with the service hours, will make you more competitive to potential employers as well. Most organizations who are hiring for a social media manager position ask for about 3 years of experience from applicants. This is a great opportunity to jump out ahead while working towards your degree! However, this position is completely voluntary, thus this position is not paid.
Log into Handshake to search and apply for this position.