College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Women's & Gender Studies
- School of Communication
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of English
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
The Journalism concentration prepares students for careers in researching, writing, editing and transmitting public information through conventional and digitally transmitted media, including newspapers, magazines, the Internet, radio, television, and cable.
Journalism Concentration (36 hours)
Core courses: Students in the School of Communication must complete these two courses with a grade of "C" or higher.
- COMS 130. Introduction to Communication
- COMS 330. Communication Theory
Required (27 hours)
- COMS 104. Basic News Writing-Must be completetd with a grade of "C" or higher.
- COMS 204. News Reporting-Must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher. Requires COMS 104 or permission of instructor.
- COMS 226. Digital Imaging
- Either COMS 146. Media Performance
- or COMS 236. Print Production-Requires any of the following: COMS 104, COMS 223, COMS 235, COMS 247 or permission of instructor.
- COMS 304. Electronic News Gathering-Requires COMS 104 and COMS 130, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 326. Web Production-Requires COMS 130, and COMS 226 or ITEC 225, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 400. Media Law & Ethics-Requires COMS 130 and COMS 330, or permission of the instructor.
- COMS 404. Specialized Journalism-Requires COMS 104, 130, 204 and 330, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 481. Journalism Portfolio-Requires COMS 104, 130, 146 or 236, 204, 304 and 330, or permission of instructor.
Electives - Choose nine (9) credit hours of electives from the School of Communication courses. Six of those hours must be at the 300-400 level.