College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Army ROTC
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Prelaw Advising
- Department of Political Science
- School of Communication
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Women's & Gender Studies
- Center for Police Practice, Policy and Research
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Department of History
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Department of English
The Advertising concentration prepares students for positions in the field of advertising by providing instruction in theoretical, practical and aesthetic elements in the profession.
Advertising Concentration (33 hours)
Core courses: Students in the School of Communication must complete these two courses with a grade of "C" or higher. (6 hours)
- COMS 130. Introduction to Communication
- COMS 330. Communication Theory
Required Courses (27 hours)
- COMS 173. Introduction to Advertising & IMC
- COMS 223. Advertising Copywriting-Requires COMS 173 or permission of instructor; Must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
- COMS 226. Digital Imaging
- COMS 231. Research Methods in Communication-Requires COMS 130 or permission of instructor.
- COMS 373. Advertising Media Planning-Requires COMS 130 or permission of instructor.
- COMS 400. Media Law and Ethics-Requires COMS 130 and COMS 330, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 473. Advertising Production-Requires COMS 130, COMS 226 and COMS 330, or permission of instructor.
- COMS 483. Applied Strategic Communication Campaigns-Requires COMS 130, COMS 173, COMS 231, COMS 330. Also COMS 104, 223 or 235. All require a grade "C" or higher. You must have Senior Status (86 credit hours).
- COMS 499. Internship*
* Prerequisites: COMS 130, COMS 330 plus any one of the following; COMS 235, COMS 104, COMS 223, COMS 247, or permission of instructor; 75 hours of college credit completed and in good academic standing with a minimum of 2.0 GPA in the major. The instructor must approve a written internship proposal, and a signed formal agreement with the internship site supervisor must be on file in the Registrar's Office and the School of Communication.
Electives - Choose nine (9) credit hours of electives from School of Communication Courses, and six (6) of these must be at the 300-400 level.