College of Education and Human Development
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Provisional Teaching Licensure
To apply for provisional teaching licensure, you must first be hired by a school division. If you have at least a bachelor’s degree and wish to teach, you may apply for teaching positions, disclosing in your application that you do not hold a Virginia teaching license.
If you are hired, your school division’s licensure specialist or human resources office should send your transcripts to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for review, and the VDOE should send you or your licensure specialist a transcript analysis and statement of requirements you must meet. The VDOE’s statement could include coursework, licensure assessments, or other requirements that you must complete within a specific time frame to be eligible for a renewable Virginia teaching license.
If you are considering provisional licensure, Radford University cannot advise you on what courses you need. Only the VDOE can provide such advice.
However, Radford may be able to offer courses based upon the content identified in the VDOE’s letter of analysis and statement of requirements. To explore course offerings that will satisfy VDOE’s stated requirements, contact the Office of Field Experience and Licensure.