College of Education and Human Development
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education
Graduate student Casey Weston explains why she chose Radford University.
Choose one of three tracks in pursuit of your goals.
- B.S. degree without a teaching license
- B.S. degree with a teaching license (Birth to 5, Children with Disabilities)
- B.S. degree with a teaching license (Birth to 5, Children with Disabilities) to move on to a fifth year M.S. degree with an additional license (PreK-3rd grade)
Graduates are qualified for a variety of careers
If the B.S. non-licensure track is chosen, some career options include:
- Working with Head Start
- Being employed in a child care program, either as a teacher or administrator
- Working as an early intervention assistant
With the Birth to 5, Children with Disabilities license, the following careers are available:
- Providing developmental services or service coordination for children birth to three with disabilities
- Teaching children in an early childhood special education class
If a student moves on to the fifth year, these careers are added:
- Virginia Preschool Initiative Teacher
- Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade teacher
Progress sheets for Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Teacher Preparation Program can be found on the College's Center for Academic Advising and Student Support page. Select the academic year and then choose Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education program.
MEET THE PROFESSORS
Dr. Sharon Gilbert
Contact for Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education
Early Intervention Specialist
I love feeling like I make a difference in my students' lives and helping them to make a difference in their students' lives.
Dr. Whitney Idol
Early Childhood Special Education/Special Education
Office: Peters Hall A044
Passion is contagious and has the power to start great things for the greater good.
Dr. Boyoung Park
Head Start and Child Care Specialist
Office: Peters Hall C161
Problem solving is a life time skill that you must develop.