The College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) prides itself on the combination of artistic and academic excellence across all of the arts disciplines. Through a comprehensive arts experience, CVPA includes the major art forms with departments of Art, Dance, Design, Music and Theatre and Cinema, as well as the Art Museum System. Instruction combines traditional forms and approaches with the latest in technology to best prepare students for the challenges and expectations that await them in their careers.
What Makes CVPA Unique
- CVPA hosts over 50 unique public events each fall and spring semester to showcase artistic works from students across all academic programs.
- A "Community of Artists" offers incoming freshman and transfer students the opportunity to live and network with fellow artists in a supportive environment.
- Through the efforts of CVPA, Radford University is designated as an All-Steinway Institution, providing quality instruments for quality musicians.
- The Interior Design program was cited among "Most Admired Interior Design Schools" by Design Intelligence (in 2018-19 ranked #13 of 25).
- The Department of Art is one of only five in Virginia accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). Fewer than 350 schools in the nation have received this prestigious accreditation.
- Most (90-95 percent) Music Therapy program graduates consistently pass the National Board Certification in Music Therapy (with the national pass average at 68 percent).
Your Support Makes a Difference
Visual and performing arts students need time to study, rehearse, perform and create. They also need the added value of experiences which enhance their learning, including international learning opportunities and opportunities to present, exhibit and perform outside the classroom. CVPA students benefit from exceptional faculty members who bring world-class knowledge and experience to the classroom, inspiring students to achieve their dreams. Enriching programs, such as the Guest Artists Program, provide additional learning and artistic experiences for students and the surrounding community.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Scholarships aid in recruiting the most qualified students, while providing an opportunity for students to focus on their studies.
Attending and presenting at conferences, international learning opportunities and internships encourage students to be global citizens and prepare them to be well-rounded practitioners after graduation.
Programs like the Arts Outreach Project, which takes performing groups and visual art exhibits to public schools in Southwest Virginia and beyond, and the Guest Artists Program, which brings renowned guest artists and performers in all disciplines to Radford, provide exceptional learning experiences for students.
Endowed professorships bolster the University's reputation for academic excellence and attract world-class faculty to Radford University.
Exposing students to innovative ideas and cutting-edge technology will better position graduates for careers in the arts and an increasingly technological world.
CVPA students have everyday needs. Your financial support helps address critical priorities for students and academic programs.
"I am thankful that I discovered music therapy because it not only allows me to do what I love but also offers me the chance to positively impact the lives of others. I trust that through this program, I will be readily equipped to become a board-certified music therapist."