Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Technology Requirements for DNP class of 2017-18
Congratulations as you begin the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (DNP) program at the Radford University School of Nursing. Your classes will be taught entirely online with distance education technology. I will be your primary technology advisor and I want you to get started on the right foot.
- Internet Access: One of your most important tools, at a minimum, is a DSL or Cable modem that is as fast as you can afford. Satellite and dial up will not be fast enough. If you are in a geographical area where neither DSL nor cable is available, get G4, or wireless access. ( G4 is wireless access from telephone towers. G3 is not adequate.) Look for internet speeds of at least 768KB/sec download and 512KB/sec upload times. You must have access to high speed Internet on a regular basis. Access only at work will not be sufficient.
- Your computer: If you have an ‘old’ computer, you may need to purchase a new one. A computer that is a couple of years old should be sufficient. It must be able to run Windows 10/8.1 or OS X 10.8 or greater operating system and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus that you will be able to download from Radford University. If you choose to buy a new computer I emphatically recommend that you do not switch to a new operating system. For instance, if you currently have a PC, do not buy a Macintosh, or if you currently have a Macintosh, do not buy a PC. You will be much better off using the operating system you are already familiar with.
The most important thing is that your computer be reliable and that you have a quick way of repairing it if necessary. Radford University gives recommendations for student computers and negotiates educational discounts with both Apple and a PC vendor. View the 2017 computer recommendations for Radford University students.
- Software: During technology orientation you will be asked to download specific and free software on your computer. Once you are registered for classes you will be able to download Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus free from Radford University. You are required to have this software on your computer or another version of Microsoft Office.
- You are required to have a USB or wireless headset for use in synchronous classes on Adobe Connect Zoom. One possible headset is Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset H390 (Black) that sells for $24.95 on Amazon.com.
- External Storage: You are strongly encouraged to have an external drive to back up your computer. An example of one would be Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Midnight Black). The size and USB connection type for this drive is dependent upon your computer USB connectors and the size of your computer hard drive.
- Camera: If you are taking Advanced Health Assessment, you will need a digital camera with a USB cable that you can use to upload digital movies to YouTube. Your smart phone might be adequate. Consult with your instructor before you purchase one
- SPSS for NURSING 802: you will need the SPSS GradPack 22 or 24. This can be rented for 12 months from the RU bookstore link to Thinkedu.com for about $110. Please contact Dr. Iris Mullins, email@example.com if you have any questions regarding SPSS.
- Scanner: You will need access to a document scanner that can save documents to PDF format. If you need to purchase one, they can be purchased for $100 or less. Many smart phones allow you to scan and save documents so that you may not need to buy a separate scanner.
- Access to Technology Orientation: Online technology orientation will be available through Desire2Learn. In order to access this you must be registered for at least one course, have paid your tuition, and have activated the Radford University userid that will be sent to you by the graduate school. Access to orientation will take at least 24 hours after you have registered. Online technology orientation is required because it greatly enhances your ability to successfully complete the DNP program. You will need to have your computer and headset on hand, and Microsoft Office installed at the start of Monday, August 14th at 8 AM or whenever you begin online orientation. You will be sent instructions on how to enroll in this course. It takes students anywhere from 4 hours to 16 hours to complete this. Make sure to allow sufficient time to complete the orientation requirement before the fall semester begins. You will be blocked from your other DNP courses until this requirement is completed. Some of you are very adept at technology and may be able to breeze through most modules of orientation. However you all require knowledge of Radford University systems and resources.
Call or email for any questions concerning these matters,
Rebecca Scheckler, Educational Technologist, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540 831-7663