Families, friends and guests are an integral part of commencement day celebrations for Radford University students. Visitors for commencement day are encouraged to read the following information in order to know what to expect on your student's big day.
The Commencement map [PDF] includes locations of ceremonies, parking and shuttle service.
Saturday shuttle service
To avoid traffic congestion, we suggest that you take the free shuttle bus service from the hotels on Tyler Avenue (Best Western, La Quinta Inn, Comfort Inn and Super 8) to campus.
Plan to arrive early and wear comfortable shoes: Seating for the main ceremony is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Anticipate that you will walk 5-10 minutes from parking to the main ceremony.
Driving to campus and parking
Commencement traffic will be routed from Tyler Avenue (VA Rt. 177, exit 109 off of I-81) to campus. Visitor passes are not necessary during Commencement Weekend. Guests to campus may park in any available parking lot. Most parking will be available in the lots along Jefferson Street. Additional parking can be found in the lots along East Main Street.
Radford is just 36 miles southwest of the city of Roanoke, Virginia, and within easy driving distance of many mid-East Coast metropolitan areas. Richmond is only a three and a half hour drive, while Washington, D.C., and the Tidewater area are only about four and a half hours away.
From Interstate 81, take Exit 109 onto Route 177/Tyler Avenue into Radford. At the third traffic light, turn right onto Jefferson Street.
Travel By Air or By Bus
Roanoke Regional Airport and Greyhound Bus Lines provide connections to cities throughout the country. From the airport, take Interstate 581-North to Interstate 81-South and follow the directions for traveling by car. Advance reservations for limousine service to and from the airport may be made by calling Blacksburg Limousine Service at 540-951-3973.
Several other airports are within driving distance of Radford University. Charlotte-Douglas International Airport is two and a half hours away in Charlotte, N.C., and Richmond International Airport is three and a half hours away in Richmond, Va.
There are many lodging options near Radford University. Make sure to plan well in advance - local hotels fill up quickly.
Please review the Commencement Weekend Schedule of Events to plan your weekend activities. In doing so, remember that while start-times are firm, it is difficult to anticipate when events will end. It is a good idea to remain as flexible as possible and leave a sufficient time buffer in scheduling post-graduation festivities.
- A professional photographer will photograph each graduate during the all-college commencement ceremony and the hooding ceremony. Proofs and order forms will be mailed to each graduate after the event.
- Photography and other recording may be done only from the seating areas. We also ask that guests not approach the front of the ceremony for photographs as this area must be kept clear to ensure a smooth procession of individual graduates.
- Restrooms will be available in the residence halls and academic buildings in the area of the main ceremony.
- Beginning at 7:30 a.m., there are beverage and snack carts in the vicinity of the main ceremony. Starbucks will be open in the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences building from 7:30 a.m. until the conclusion of the events.
- Filtered water bottle filling stations are available in Kyle Hall and Peters Hall. Water fountains are available in all open buildings.
- The Radford University Bookstore, located in Dalton Hall, will be open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.