Communication Sciences and Disorders 511
COSD 511: Public School Methods in a Diverse Society
Prerequisites: Graduate standing or permission
Credit Hours: (3)
A study of clinical delivery and administration of services to the communicatively disordered children and adolescents in the culturally diverse school setting, including current regulations and issues. Must be taken for Virginia Teacher Certification.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
Course will cover the information necessary to design and implement a public school-based speech/language/hearing program in a culturally diverse setting. Prevention, assessment and intervention strategies will be included. Specific topics will include:
- Overview of school-based speech/language/hearing programs
- Public school speech-language pathologist (SLP) qualifications
- Federal legislation and state guidelines for school-based speech/language/hearing programs
- Special education processes for speech/language/hearing impaired children
- Referral and screenings
- Child study
- Individualized Educational Programs (IEPs)
- Service delivery and scheduling models
- Program implementation
- Cultural diversity in educational settings
- Contemporary issues facing public school-based SLPs
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Class will include lecture, oral presentations, and directed readings. A variety of projects may be assigned which may include case studies, abstract presentations, materials review and proposals, and field trips. Guest lecture presentations may also be included.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of required qualifications for SLPs in public school settings.
- Demonstrate knowledge of state and federal guidelines governing speech/language/hearing programs in the public school setting.
- Identify and explain varied service delivery and scheduling models used in the public school setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a variety of treatment techniques appropriate for use in the public school setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the impact of cultural diversity on the SLP in the educational setting.
Assessment measures may consist of a midterm, multimedia presentations, reports and a final examination.
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
September 2001 Changed to 500 level course; Raymond Linville, Chair