1. Catalog Entry
Credit hours (7)
Prerequisite: Senior standing in Biology, Medical Laboratory Sciences Concentration, and acceptance into a clinical internship by a program-affiliated or –associated hospital.
First part of a 12-month clinical internship working in one of the hospitals affiliated/associated with Radford University. Students study various clinical phases of medical technology with daily lectures and laboratory classes taught by pathologists and medical technologists at the hospital.
2. Detailed Description of Course
Each clinical facility affiliated with Radford University offers the clinical training so that the student becomes proficient in the following areas including microbiology, clinical chemistry, hematology, and body fluids, blood banking and immunology.
3. Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students will spend appropriate time in lecture and in the laboratories to become proficient in each of the academic and clinical areas mentioned above.
4. Goals and Objectives of the Course
1) Students will be able to demonstrate the skills to perform satisfactorily in the clinical laboratory setting.
2) Students will be able to define the principles and procedures of basic laboratory tests.
3) Students will be able to correlate laboratory findings and clinical data to assess test results and procedures.
4) Students will be able to obtain and process biological specimens for analysis and establish criteria for identifying
5) Students will be able to pass a national certification examination in Medical Technology.
5. Assessment Measures
Each clinical laboratory affiliated with Radford University will examine students appropriately to demonstrate that student has accomplished the goals set forth.
6. Other Course Information
Review and Approval
June 15, 2015