Awards ceremony applauds campus diversity
The fourth annual R.E.D. (Recognizing Excellence in Diversity) Awards ceremony was held April 21.
Sponsored by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, the event recognizes students, student organizations, faculty and staff who have helped promote diversity on campus through programs, curriculum, community service and other inclusive initiatives.
The theme of this year's event was "Diversity: Speak to the Future." Dean of Students Irvin Clark and Vice President for Student Affairs Mark Shanley gave opening remarks, followed by keynote speaker, Brandon "Real T@lk" Williams.
Williams, a poet, inspired the audience with readings of famous quotes, encouraging students to follow their dreams.
This year's award-winners were:
- Kyle Lynch: Behind the Scenes Leader
- Shawn Ficadenti: Crossroads Initiative Leader
- Nehemiah Bester / DAP: Emerging Leader & Outstanding Student Organization
- Aisha Foy : Established Leader
- Black Student Alliance: Excellence in Social Justice
- Dr. Sara O’Brien: Outstanding Faculty
- James Pennix: Outstanding Staff
- Alpha Kappa Alpha “Global Love": Outstanding New Program
- Michele Ren: Diversity & Inclusion Award
- Craig Arthur: Diversity in the Community