The Pre-major Advising Center at Radford University provides consistent information and advising through a developmental approach for all students who have not yet selected a major. Our center works to empower all students to explore, evaluate, and choose their academic, career, and personal goals through one-on-one individualized advising appointments, campus referrals, the Majors and Minors Fair, and electronic tools and assessments. New students are assisted with their transition to college life to ensure a successful first year experience. Our Center values the success and growth of Radford University students. We strive to help them achieve their academic and life goals.
The Pre-major Advising Center serves all students who have not yet selected a major. The center is staffed by a full-time advising coordinator, an assistant advising coordinator, a first-year advisor and graduate students trained to assist in advising.
Your advisor will work with you on all aspects of choosing a major, course registration, and academic success. Each appointment in Pre-major is structured to narrow down your major choice and lead into self-exploration and research. You are encouraged to declare a major prior to your sophomore year in order to graduate in four years.
Role of the Academic Advisor
Your advisor will meet with you a minimum of two times per semester to assist you in creating and evaluating major, career, and life goals and developing educational plans for the realization of those goals. In addition, your advisor will be concerned about your transition to Radford University and your academic success. However, the ultimate responsibility for making decisions rests with you, the student.
Your advisor will:
- Provide an open, safe, confidential and respectful environment where you can ask questions, express concerns, and discuss your interests.
- Assist you in the process of major and career exploration.
- Help you understand college and department policies and procedures.
- Assist you in making academic and career-related decisions.
- Connect you with academic support and campus resources.
Your role as advisee will be to:
- Schedule regular appointments as requested by your advisor. You will meet with your pre-major advisor at least twice throughout each semester. The first appointment of the semester is necessary before making your course registration appointment.
- Keep your appointments, but be sure to reschedule through Starfish if you need to cancel.
- Prepare for your appointments by completing any information requested by your advisor (D2L modules, major and career research, etc.), reviewing your degree audit, and creating a list of questions/topics of discussion.
- Research Radford’s policies and procedures that may affect you.
- Discuss long-range goals with your advisor and actively evaluate your progress toward these goals.
- Follow through on referrals.
- Accept responsibility for your actions and decisions.
- Seek help when you need it. Do not wait until it is too late to ask for help or clarification of University policies.