At IMPACT, we understand that as a working professional, your time is valuable. Our structured, self-paced learning activities are designed for busy adults and delivered asynchronously online. Our competency-based training approach teaches specific, job-related skills that will prepare you to get ahead in your field. The innovative competency-based education model allows you to receive credits based on skills developed by your previous work experience.
A New Way to Learn
Teaches job-related skills tailored to meet the needs of business and industry.
Structured, self-paced learning activities delivered asynchronously online.
Competency-based education model allows learners to receive skill-based credits for quicker certification.
Collaborative environment encourages networking with experts and other learners.
What is IMPACT?
Radford University is delivering Innovative Mobile Personalized Accelerated Competency Training (IMPACT): a competency-based education (CBE) workforce development program.
IMPACT is a first-of-its-kind program among four-year public institutions in Virginia. With the launch of IMPACT, Radford University boldly stepped forward as a key partner in the rapidly developing Virginia workforce in cybersecurity, geospatial intelligence and future high demand areas.
Presently, IMPACT offers a cybersecurity certificate program delivered online in an asynchronous, self-paced manner. The program is available at a fixed cost, regardless of the timeframe in which it is completed. Working professionals who successfully complete the cybersecurity program earn 18 credit hours and will be prepared for professional certification exams.
Improve your Skills and Enhance your Career
Prepare for professional certification exams*
- SANS GCIH*
- SANS GPEN*
- CompTIA Security+
- CompTIA Network+
- CISCO CCENT
*Although our IMPACT training will help prepare you for professional certification exams, additional preparation will be necessary due to the complexity and proprietary nature of the respective exam content.
What is Competency-Based Education?
IMPACT is aligned with the competency-based education (CBE) approach, which focuses on teaching specific job-related skills that are needed to perform a critical task in the workplace.
This non-traditional teaching approach decouples learning from time-based models, such as three-hour credit courses and 14-week semesters, and enables IMPACT to empower working adults in Virginia with career-advancing skills.
The CBE approach uses an online platform to deliver asynchronous, self-paced learning modules aligned with workplace competencies.
Learn from Skilled Faculty
Radford University's top faculty within geospatial intelligence and computer science will provide you with the skills you need to complete your certification and excel at your career.
Andrew Foy, Ph.D.
- B.S. in geography; M.S. in geography; Ph.D. in geospatial and environmental analysis
- Specialities: Uncertainity in GIS, spatial statistics, biogeography, WebGIS/GIS programing and GIS applications for natural resources
Hwajung Lee, Sc.D.
- B.S. in computer science; M.S. in computer and communication networks; Sc.D. in computer networks and communications security
- Specialities: Computer networks and network security
R. Stockton Maxwell, Ph.D.
- B.A. in psychology, M.S. in forestry; Ph.D. in Geography
- Specialities: Forest ecology, dendrochronology, paleoclimatology, vegetation dynamics and ecological modeling with applications to resource management
Jeff Pittges, Ph.D.
- B.S. in math and computer science; M.S. in computer science; Ph.D. in computer science
- Specialities: Data warehousing, data mining, data security, web services and computer science education
Prem Uppuluri, Ph.D.
- BEngg in computer science and engineering; M.S. in computer science; Ph.D. in computer science
- Specialities: Computer security and operating systems
The Radford University Board of Visitors (BOV) approved a resolution at the Sept. 15 campus BOV meeting that recognizes the university’s brand new competency-based education program, Innovative Mobilized Personalized Accelerated Competency Training.
The launch of Radford University’s Innovative Mobile Personalized Accelerated Competency Training, or IMPACT, was featured in an array of media outlets after its announcment on Sept. 8.
Radford University announced today the launch of an innovative new competency-based education (CBE) program that will position the university as a national leader in training working professionals for high-demand occupations.