In Fall 2013 the Radford Faculty Senate approved many improvements to the honors experience. Among these changes was the new honors curriculum. Students who enrolled at RU during the Fall 2013 semester or earlier have a choice over which curriculum they wish to follow. Those who enroll during the Fall 2014 semester or later must follow the new curriculum. Both the new and old honors curricula are outlined below.
The NEW honors curricula
Students who enrolled at Radford beginning in Fall 2014 are required to follow the new honors curriculum. To graduate from the Honors Academy as a Highlander Scholar, students must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative grade point average and complete at least 27 hours of Honors work in accordance with the requirements listed below:
- 6 honors credits in Univesity Core A courses
- HNRS 103 is required of all honors students
- HNRS 201 or HNRS 202 (or both)
- 9 honors credits from courses that have been approved in other areas of the Core Curriculum, including:
- Natural Science
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Global Perspectives (e.g., ENGL 201, WGST 200)
- U.S. Perspectives (e.g., POSC 120)
- College Core B (e.g., STAT 200, HLTH 111, and NUTR 214)
- 9 honors credits in other areas of the curriculum, including:
- 3 credit honors capstone project (---- 488)
- 3.5 cumulative GPA in all coursework at RU
Most students take 1-2 honors courses per semester during freshman and sophomore year. Students typically begin to contract courses or enroll in independent studies during junior year. The honors capstone should be planned during the second semester of junior year by taking HNRS 300. The honors capstone is completed in time to present the outcomes prior to graduation (typically at the Radford Student Engagement Forum). Students who spend much of senior year at internship sites (e.g., education majors) should start their capstone one year earlier.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Honors Academy if you have questions about staying on track.
The OLD honors curriculum
Students who enrolled at Radford in Fall 2013 or earlier have a choice between the new and old honors curriculum. To graduate from the Honors Academy as a Highlander Scholar, students must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative grade point average and complete at least 27 hours of Honors work in accordance with the requirements listed below:
- 9-12 credit hours of honors core curriculum courses
- 12-15 credit hours of courses with honors contracts in your major
- 3-6 credit hours for your honors capstone project
Most students take four core curriculum courses (around 12 credit hours), four major courses with honors contracts (around 12 credit hours), and a 3-hour honors capstone. Please do not hesitate to contact the Honors Academy if you have questions about staying on track.