Are you looking for help with a class? Work with a fellow Radford Univserity student to explore content, develop study habits, and set learning goals! Schedule an appointment today by going to Starfish via your MyRU Portal, by calling the HKC at 540-831-7704, or by visiting us on the 4th floor of McConnell Library.
What is Academic Coaching and How Will it Help Me?
We like to call Academic Coaching TutoringPlus. An Academic Coach is a fellow Radford Student who will meet with you up to twice a week, depending on your needs. They learn about your goals and strengths, and assist you in building the effective habits and skills that will help you succeed in college. Academic Coaches often specialize in an academic subject, and can help you develop subject-specific study strategies, understand key concepts from the class, prepare for exams, and improve general success skills like time management and notetaking.
When Should I Come In?
The earlier, the better! We encourage students to connect with a Coach in the first two weeks of the semester. This gives you a chance to start the semester strong by reviewing the expectations and assignments with a partner, learning strategies for a new or unfamiliar class, and getting a jump start on effective note taking. A Coach can help you understand expectations like attendance, office hours, and how frequently you should be reviewing information from the course.
How Do I Get Started?
We offer limted drop-in hours and we encourage appointments so that you can make sure to get a spot with the coach you want. We fill up very quickly around exams, and recommend students make their appointments up to a week in advance during peak times. Appointments can be made on Starfish, or by contacting our office.
You can schedule your own appointment by logging into Starfish and locating the Harvey Knowledge Center under your Success Network.
1. Open the Harvey Knowledge Center on Starfish
- Log into your MyRU Portal
- Click on the “Starfish” icon
- Scroll down to services and select the “Harvey Knowledge Center”
2. Pick a Coach
- Click “Team Members”
- Review the list of coaches and their areas of specialization
- Click on a coach’s name and select “open profile”
3. Make an Appointment
- Click “schedule an appointment” on the left-hand side of the screen in the coach’s profile
- Select the down arrow next to the “Harvey Knowledge Center” location
- From the list of options, select what you need help with
- Press “continue” on the bottom left of the screen
- Review the list of times the academic coach has available and select a date and time that works with your schedule
- Click continue
- Provide any information you think your academic coach needs to know
Don't have time for an appointment? We offer drop-in hours by subject, held in multiple locations across campus.
Want to find just the right Coach to work with? Check out our new Coach Finder tool. Once you've found a Coach, log in to Starfish and sign up for an appointment.
Contact our office to discuss getting started, to pick an academic coach, and to have help setting up an appointment. Our student staff would be delighted to talk with you.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Leave us a voicemail message at 540-831-7704
- Come by McConnell 441 and chat with an Office Assistant