College of Visual & Performing Arts
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
DSN 670 ENVIRONMENT & BEHAVIOR
MIND MAP PURPOSE: List the theories, principles, laws, and terms as observed in the environment illustrated in my Mind Map. Additionally, it is included the dialogue per my story.
- Short-Term Memory: “Where is my car?”
- Way-finding: “Uhh!! I will follow Mickey’s ears!!”
- Segmentation Bias: “I’m glad I found this place to rest at the mall.”
- Personal Distance: “I’m at a safety distance from everybody.”
- Territorial Markers: “The bench is my.”
- Looming: “Help!”
- Behavioral Control: “Who is controlling this projector?”
- Perception: “What a large place! I thought it was smaller.”
- Stimulus Response - A response to a stimulus is based on one’s memory pertaining to a significant time or place (music): “So romantic!! I can hear the music!!”
- Stimulus-Response (smell): “Smells sooo good!!”
- Crowding: “What a crowd place!!”; “It’s is hot here!”; “I'm so stressed out!!”
- Illusion: “I thought it was bigger!!”
- Phobia: “I can’t go there I’m afraid of heights.”
- Adaptation: “Happy Birthday - Dollhouse"
- Effect: “Oh!! What a beautiful dollhouse!”
- Preference Model - Coherence: “I’m sure this is the booth ticket!!”
- Overload: “What an overload of food!”
- Weber-Fechner Law: “I’m so confused!! The road pattern has changed!!”
- Ambient Stressors: “I’m so frustrated this traffic is terrible!!!”
- Personalization: “We are in the Orlando Soccer territory”; “Wow!!! This is really the Orlando Soccer area!!”
BUS STOP - BEIJING, CHINA
DSN 600 ADVANCED DESIGN STUDIO I
BRIEF: To use synthesis techniques like Mind Mapping, Chunking Up and Down as well Attribute Listing in order to identify elements in a city like Beijing. To build a concept design of a customized bus stop using some of these elements.
Mind Mapping + Chunking Up & Down
Great Wall of China
Hot and Humid Climate
- Major transportation hub
- Ethnical Symbiotic
- More than 2000 years old
- Forbidden City
- Hutong (alleys)
- Peking Opera
- 798 Art Zone
- Second large city of China
- Carries art from Qing and Ming dynasty
- Large industrial sector
- The city has many bicycle lines
- Second busiest airport in the world
- Red is a very important color for them
- Air quality problems
- Ranks 9th in the world in the International Financial Centres Development Index
Bus stop sign with map and routes using electronic media. Mix of elements of the roof of the Forbidden City and modern materials.
Enclose structure to protect people from the polluted air. Glass door with Chinese pattern design. Raised platform.
Inside: space for advertisement, bench, trash can, route map and charging station.
Beijing is a city with a mixture of the tradition with the modern forms of art expression. Based on my findings, I suggest a bus stop design that reflects these two extremes. The rooftop is in reference to the Forbidden City top. As for the bus stop structure, the metal tube painted in red would be added as one of the major colors of the Chinese culture. In additional, I would add the clear glass, which would also bring a modern look. The enclosed clear glass space would be set up to protect the people from the poor air quality that permeates the city. There are many places in Beijing that uses glass as an architecture feature like the Grand National Theatre. On both doors at the bus stop, a Chinese design pattern will be applied on the clear glass with the purpose of displaying the transition between the tradition culture with the new. The platform is raised to give room for the glass curved door. The digital media panels for advertisement as well the map routes alongside the charging stations are added to contextualize with the technological era which China is positioned today.
American Association of Behavioral & Social Sciences