Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Safety and Security
- Department of Information Technology
- Forensic Science Institute
- Geospatial Science
- MS in Data And Information Management
Welcome to the Radford University Planetarium
We're back! It's time to get things going for the spring. We will start our regular slate of shows beginning with the 4 p.m. show on Tuesday, Jan. 23. We will have our regular Tuesday and Thursday shows both at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., as well as our Saturday kid-focused shows at 10:30 a.m.
Free parking is available in Parking Lots C and B (next to the planetarium) after 6 p.m. on weekdays, and all day on weekends. For the Tuesday/Thursday afternoon shows there are a couple of meters in Lots C and B. However, it's best to park in Lot E across University Drive bridge and then take the 5-minute walk back over the bridge to the planetarium.
- Location: Center for the Sciences room M75 (Main Street level). Enter through the doors from Parking Lot C. Click on the map for a larger image.
- All shows are free and everyone is welcome to come join us!
- Seating capacity: 55 visitors (this is an absolute fire-code limit)
- All shows include a tour of the nighttime sky using our full-dome projection system. Some shows will also have a full-dome, professionally produced show on an astronomical topic. The shows are described below.
- No reservations required for the Tuesday/Thursday 4pm and 7pm shows, or the Saturday 10:30am shows. However, if you have a group of 35 or more please email/call ahead (24+ hours) to be sure there isn't another large group coming for the same show.
- We have hearing-assist receivers for our sound system--please bring your own earphones (1/16 inch [3.5mm] stereo jack).
- No food/drinks allowed in the planetarium!
Schedule a Group Visit
During the regular semesters special showings may be arranged for groups with a minimum size of 20. If you have a group that would like to visit the planetarium, please contact Dr. Rhett Herman at email@example.com (email preferred) or 540-831-5441. Please note that we will try to accommodate these requests based on our availability for the date and time requested.
"Season of Light"
Tuesday Dec 12
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
The classic holiday show is from Loch Ness Productions and is intended for all ages! "'Season of Light" describes the legends associated with the stars that appear during the Christmas season such as Orion the Hunter, Taurus the Bull, and Leo the Lion. The show also includes the Star of Bethlehem, Jolly Old Saint Nick, holiday lights and candles. Presents and festivals are also explored in this festive show.
This 35-minute show is narrated by Noah Adams of NPR's "All Things Considered."