Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Safety and Security
- Department of Information Technology
- Forensic Science Institute
- Geospatial Science
- MS in Data And Information Management
Welcome to the Radford University Planetarium
Let's do Fridays! Starting on Friday, March 22, we're going to add a 4 p.m. Friday afternoon show! Start your weekend off knowing what you can see in the nighttime sky, and then explore what dark matter is in "Phantom of the Universe: The Hunt for Dark Matter."
Visitors: Free parking is available in Parking Lots C and B (next to the planetarium) after 6 p.m. on weekdays, and all day on weekends. For the Tuesday/Thursday afternoon shows, there are a couple of meters in Lots C and B; however, it's best to park in Lot E across University Drive bridge and then take the 5-minute walk back over the bridge to the planetarium. Please see the map below.
- Location: Center for the Sciences room M75 (Main Street level). Enter through the doors from Parking Lot C. Click on the map for a larger image.
- All shows are free and everyone is welcome to come join us!
- Seating capacity: 55 visitors
- All shows include a tour of the nighttime sky using our full-dome projection system. Some shows will also have a full-dome, professionally produced show on an astronomical topic. The shows are described below.
- No reservations required for the Monday/Wednesday 4pm, and Tuesday/Thursday 7pm shows, or the Saturday 10:30am shows. However, if you have a group of 35 or more please email/call ahead (24+ hours) to be sure there isn't another large group coming for the same show.
- Parking for the 4pm shows:
- There are 4 metered spaces in Lots C and B, next to the Center for the Sciences.
- There are also several metered spaces in the portion of Parking Lot A that lies directly between Martin Hall and Main Street.
- You can also pick up a free parking day pass by dropping by the Radford University Parking office in Heth Hall, or the Radford University Police Station (intersection of University Drive and Main Street).
- We have hearing-assist receivers for our sound system--please bring your own earphones (1/16 inch [3.5mm] stereo jack).
- No food/drinks allowed in the planetarium!
Schedule a Group Visit
During the regular semesters special showings may be arranged for groups with a minimum size of 20. If you have a group that would like to visit the planetarium, please contact Dr. Rhett Herman at email@example.com (email preferred) or 540-831-5441. Please note that we will try to accommodate these requests based on our availability for the date and time requested.
"Saturday Kids Show - One World, One Sky: Big Bird's Adventure"
Saturday Feb 17
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
For our youngest audiences! Come join us as we take a quick look at the current fall sky, showing you the stars, constellations, and planets that you can see at night now. Then we will join Big Bird as he and Elmo welcome their friend Hu Zhu, a Muppet from Zhima Jie, the Chinese co-production of Sesame Street. Together, they take an imaginary trip from Sesame Street to the Moon, where they discover how different it is from Earth. But they also discover that the sky over Sesame Street is the same sky over China, just seen 12 hours later.