The CITL, along with campus and local K12 partners, held the second annual Word Festival vocabulary video competition in fall 2017 from Monday, September 18 to Friday, October 27. Winners in each division are listed below.
The contest involves students making short, live-action videos (20 seconds or less) in which they express the meaning of a particular word to the viewer. Words must be derived from an archived list of the New York Times Word Of The Day (click to DOWNLOAD), and definitions must be derived and cited from Merriam-Webster Online, Cambridge Dictionary Online, or Dictionary.com.
AND, we were thrilled to announce a FOREIGN LANGUAGE category this year!! Rules are the same, see guidelines below for specifics and an example video. Word resources for Spanish, German and other languages to be used:
- Online Spanish Dictionary Word of the Day - peruse their Word of the Day feature to find an interesting word.
- Collins Dictionary - multiple foreign language translation features.
- Word Reference - multiple foreign language translation features.
- Langenscheidt's - online German dictionary and multi-language translation.
Fall 2017 Awards
First Place: Bugaboo - Luke Ferraro, Gabby Castillo, McKayla Carroll
First Place: Missile - Dawson Martin, Eli Blackwell, Aaron Sparks, and Zack Ramsey
Runner-Up: Vortex - Eliza Honaker, Matthew Irvin, Davinity Massey
Runner-Up: Asteroid - Zack Ramsey
Honorable Mention: Festive - Colette Carter, Samantha Crenshaw
Honorable Mention: Ignite - Eli Blackwell
Honorable Mention: Unison - Abbey Napolitano, Kira Rollins, Kyla Young, Ariana Alvarado
INTERMEDIATE/HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
First Place: Venom - James, Otis
First Place: Chivalrous - KJ, Damian
Runner-Up: Carnivorous - Lilly Bishop, Kennedy Gaspard
Runner-Up: Gamely - Marcell, Quentin, Draysin
Honorable Mention: Hoodwink - Raekwon, Jordan, David
FOREIGN LANGUAGE DIVISION (INTERMEDIATE/HIGH SCHOOL)
RADFORD UNIVERSITY DIVISION
First Place: Ghastly - Eilish Bailey
Runner-Up: Thrifty - Brittany Brown, Danae Jones, Olga Findley, Emily Scallan, Julia Mingione
Runner-Up: Lugubrious - Aliyah Canty, Sukii Patterson, Holli Martin, Taylor Hairston, Veronica Tipton
Honorable Mention: Jettison - Jessica Mundy
Honorable Mention: Sloth - Caitlin Lovell
Honorable Mention: Agape - Reggie Thomas
Guidelines and Examples
1. Videos must be no more than 20 seconds.
2. Video must be live-action (can have additional elements).
3. Each word must be displayed, pronounced and defined, and the part of speech given.
4. For words in a language other than English: the language should be given and the word should be displayed and pronounced in the language. Provide an English translation of the definition (subtitles may be used).
5. If there are several definitions, you may just use the first one.
6. Use your imagination. You can act the word out, dramatize it, use puppets, draw, sing a song, create a dance, write a skit, incorporate photographs, use claymation, stop-motion, or anything else that will help viewers understand and learn your word.
7. Commercially produced media is not permitted.
The video below gives a rundown of how to make your video a success. And, below it are a handful of example word films.
What -- and What Not -- To Do