Generic viva questions
- How did you come to research this topic in this
- What are the main achievements of your research?
- What has your thesis has contributed to our knowledge
in this field?
- What are the major theoretical strands in this
area: what are the crucial ideas, and who are the main contributors?
- What are the main issues (matters of debate or
dispute) in this area?
- Where is your thesis 'placed' in terms of the
existing theory and debate? How would the major researchers react to your
- Whom do you think will be most interested in
- Why did you choose the particular research methodology
that you used?
- What were the crucial research decisions that
- If you were doing this research again, would
you consider using any other research methodology?
- What do you see as the next steps in this research?
- What was the most interesting finding in your
- Isn't this all obvious?
- Were you surprised by any of your results (if
so: why, and what was surprising)?
- What advice would you give a new student entering
- What is your plan for publication?
- What haven't I asked you that I should have,
and what would your answer have been?
Page prepared by Vicki
L. Almstrum. Department of Computer
Sciences at UT Austin
Send suggestions, comments to firstname.lastname@example.org