SUMS4BIO: Strengthening Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics Education for Biologists
This three-year NSF grant (2011-2014) is a cooperative effort of the Department of Biology and Department of Mathematics and Statistics. The goals of this project are:
· develop a new course in mathematics for biology
· form links between this new mathematics course and BIOL 131 Ecology and Adaptation and BIOL 160 Introductory Seminar in Biology
· develop a new course in statistics for biology
· form links between this new statistics course and BIOL 232 Organismal Biology
· vertically integrate mathematical and statistical skills through the biology core curriculum: BIOL 131 Ecology and Adaptation; BIOL 132 Biology of Cells and Microorganisms; BIOL 231 Genetics, Development, and Evolution; BIOL 232 Organismal Biology
· further develop quantitative skills in biology electives
· form collaborative links with the broader STEM education community through workshops, conference presentations, and publications.
Joel Hagen, PI
Jeremy Wojdak, Co-PI
Fred Singer, Co-PI
M. Jill Stewart, Co-PI
Students present research results at 2011 RU BBB Research Symposium.