The School of Social Work and the College of Graduate & Professional Studies will begin receiving applications for the Radford campus on November 1. For fullest consideration, completed applications should be received by March 1 for the Advanced Standing Program and April 1 for the Standard Program. Application deadline is June 15.
Applications for the Standard Program cohort on the Roanoke campus will be accepted on November 1 (admission in Fall). For fullest consideration, completed applications should be received by April,1.
Students who are accepted into the Advanced Standing Program will be required to register for the Bridge Course during the summer. Classes will be offered on Saturdays during June & July, with additional work online. Students who plan on attending through the Advanced Standing Program should be aware that these summer courses are mandatory and attendance will be required on Saturdays.
More information can be found in the Student Handbook [PDF].
The following application materials should be submitted directly to:
College of Graduate & Professional Studies Admissions
P.O Box 6928
Radford, VA 24142
2. Applicants are to provide the College of Graduate & Professional Studies office with sealed, official transcripts (one copy) of ALL undergraduate and graduate work from institution(s) of prior and/or current enrollment. Please note: If the transcripts do not include the student’s entire undergraduate program, including the award of the bachelor’s degree, copies of the final transcript also must be sent to the College of Graduate & Professional Studies after the student has been awarded the bachelor’s degree.
3. Applicants are to submit three (3) letters of recommendation in addition, signed and completed to the office of the College of Graduate & Professional Studies. Applicants should provide the recommendation form [PDF] to their selected references and request the referring parties to attach a letter which addresses the areas indicated below. The letter should be placed in a sealed envelope, along with the recommendation form. One (1) recommendation is to be acquired from each of three (3) separate sources:
- One from a professional currently practicing in the field of human services whom has witnessed the applicant’s practice abilities and can assess the applicant’s suitability/promise as a professional social worker
- One from a professor, addressing the applicant’s likelihood of success in a graduate level program of study
- One from an additional source of your choosing (examples: another academic or professional reference, a former employer or colleague)
If you have difficulty obtaining one of the three letters before the application deadline, please write a paragraph explaining why and submit it with your applications. Understand, however, that any acceptance will be conditional on receiving all three letters.
5. Applicants are to fill out the Experiences in Human Services Form [DOC]. In the event an applicant has no previous experience, a note to that effect should be made on the Experiences in Human Services Form [DOC].
6. Applicants are to submit two (2) copies of their current resume reflecting educational, employment, and professional experience.
7. Applicants are to prepare an application essay (not to exceed five pages) according to the enclosed Instructions for Personal Essay.
8. Applicants are to complete the Legal/Military History Form [PDF].
9. Applicants are to complete the Field Practicum Application. (Applications for field should be submitted prior to enrolling in SOWK 641.)