Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
SIM Lab Supplies, Med's, and Equipment Procedure
I. Purpose: To provide a standardized patient encounter development and scheduling procedure for the Clinical Simulation Centers (CSC) located at the Roanoke Higher Education Center (RHEC) and the Radford University West (RU West) Campus. To schedule student learning encounters efficiently and economically.
II. Procedure for Standardized Patient Sessions:
1) School of nursing (SON) faculty will contact the CSC Director to discuss use of the CSC for SP education.
2) CSC Director will determine if the CSC can offer services based on fiscal resources for Schools of Nursing in the CSC regional partnership. Financial fees for SP education services offered to non-partnering institutions will be covered in education services quote.
3) SON faculty and CSC representative will develop the case to include but not limited the following components:
a. Case objectives
b. Case description and flow
c. Case feedback document
d. SP checklist
e. Student admission ticket (preparation document)
f. Student Pre-simulation checklist, Post-simulation checklist and/or post simulation survey as appropriate to case
4) SON faculty and CSC Director or designee will identify appropriate personnel to perform SP training.
5) SON faculty and CSC Director or designee will determine scheduling availability and CSC site location for SP experience
6) CSC Administrator in collaboration with SON Faculty requesting sessions will coordinate scheduling of SP sessions in regards to SP availability and student availability.
CSC SP Scheduling Coordinator
RU West CSC Administrator
RHEC CSC Administrator
7) CSC scheduling coordinator will send an email to student at least two days prior to scheduled encounter reminding them of their appointment date, time and any additional information pertinent to the scheduled encounter.
8) Schedule changes are acceptable prior to the day of the encounter if there are empty time slots available on the CSC calendar.
9) Scheduling issues the day of the encounter will be managed as follows:
a. A student “no show” (does not report to scheduled appointment and does not notify CSC) will not be permitted to reschedule their appointment at the CSC. The CSC scheduling coordinator will notify the SON faculty via email of the occurrence. If rescheduling is permitted a $50 fee will be charged to student. Payment must occur prior to completing rescheduled session.
b. Student attempts to change appointment the day of the encounter:
- If student is sick, they will be instructed to stay home.
- CSC scheduling coordinator will notify the faculty via email
- If student is sick the CSC coordinator will make every attempt to reschedule.
- If student is not sick – SON faculty will determine if the student should be rescheduled.
10) Students reporting late to their appointment will only have the time scheduled for their encounter to complete their experience (if encounter is scheduled for 30 min and they are 10 minutes late they will only have 20 minutes to complete the experience). This may significantly affect their ability to meet their learning objectives. The SP will indicate on their post encounter how many minutes late the student was for their scheduled experience. If the student is more than 15 min late, the will be considered a “no show”. See section 8 (a).
III. Procedure for use of Standardized Patient in manikin simulation sessions:
1) Simulation educators identify which high-fidelity manikin simulations will include an SP role to act as significant other to the manikin patient.
2) Simulation director will determine if fiscal resources are available to incorporate SP role into simulation training session.
3) Simulation educator and/or SP scheduler coordinator (Administrative Specialist) will coordinate SP schedule with high-fidelity session schedule and assign SP to session.