To ensure physical and psychological safety of individuals involved in simulation.
1. Simulation center users should follow universal precautions while participating in clinical activities. While practicing skills at the simulation center, learners should practice the same safety precautions followed in clinical settings.
2. CSC educators exercise their discretion in allowing students that present to the center with signs of infectious illnesses to participate in simulation activities.
3. All sharps must be disposed of in an appropriately labeled sharps container. Under no circumstances may sharps or supplies be removed from the Center.
4. Hand washing or use of hand sanitizers are part of practice in the Center.
5. All injuries should be reported to the Center educators. Appropriate medical treatment will be recommended and an adverse occurrence report will be completed if warranted. If an injury occurs with a needle or sharp instrument, wash the wound thouroughly with soap and water as soon as possible. Basic first aid can then be applied by simulation center staff.
6. Any damaged or potentially dangerous equipment should be reported to the Center educators. The educators will attempt to correct the problem and if unsuccessful, the CSC Information Technologist will be notified.
7. Food and drinks are not allowed in the patient care areas. Drinks with lids are allowed in the debriefing rooms only.
8. In the event of a fire, the simulation center must be evacuated according to the plans set out by Radford University for the RU West Corporate Park and the Roanoke Higher Education Center locations.
9. Psychological safety during simulation will be addressed during the debriefing process. Simulation educators who have been trained to handle debriefing sessions are available for consultation.
10. Learners are expected to adhere to their respective school dress code policies to ensure safety while participating in simulation activities.
11. The simulation center educators make every effort possible to ensure a latex free environment. All gloves and medication administration equipment used during simulation activities are latex free.
12. Simulation Center staff will notify security of any suspicious behavior:
a. RU West call 831-5500 (campus police).
b. RHEC call 767-6001 (RHEC Security).