Master of Social Work Admissions Criteria, Standard Program
The School of Social Work established the following minimum criteria as required of all applicants seeking admission into the MSW program. Applicants are also encouraged to refer to the Radford University Graduate College application materials for additional criteria set forth by the Graduate College of the university.
- A baccalaureate degree earned at an accredited institution.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.75 (undergraduate degree).
- Evidence of a liberal arts background to include at least 15 credit hours in social sciences, 9 hours of humanities, and 3 hours of human biology content.
- Course credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.
- Previous experience in the field of human services as an employee, student, and/or volunteer is strongly recommended.
- Evidence of interest, ability, motivation, and potential for professional
- Social work practice on an advanced level as demonstrated by three letters (including forms) of recommendation and a personal essay.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of upper division coursework.
Admissions Criteria, Advanced Standing Program
The Advanced Standing program is an accelerated curriculum option available to highly qualified graduates of baccalaureate social work programs accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Consideration is given only to those social work graduates with superior academic standing and exceptional references who show evidence of mastery of the foundation curriculum.
Applicants seeking Advanced Standing admission must meet all the admissions criteria required for standard admissions. In addition, Advanced Standing applicants must:
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
within 7 years of application.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate coursework.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate social work coursework.
It is recommended that applicants seeking Advanced Standing admission ask their senior year field instructor to serve as one of the three required references. If available, Advanced Standing applicants should submit with the application a copy of the evaluation of their senior year field placement.
The Advanced Standing program commences in the summer on the Radford campus. The Advanced Standing program commences in the spring on the Roanoke campus. For Radford campus, summer attendance is required on Saturdays through June and July. For Roanoke campus, spring semester attendance is required (Saturdays). There is no fall admission for the Advanced Standing program.