- Article: The Supreme Court Passes Up an Opportunity to Clarify the "Knock and Talk" Authority of the Police
- Article: Elonis v. United States (United States Supreme Court): Social Media Posts and Specific Criminal Intent?
- Article: Rodriguez v. United States (United States Supreme Court): Terry Stops May Not Be Extended to Accommodate a Canine Sniff
- Article: Heien v. North Carolina (United States Supreme Court): Is an Arrest Constitutional If Based on a Reasonable Mistake About the Law?
- Article: Barden v. Commonwealth (Court of Appeals of Virginia): Does Suspended/Revoked Driving Status Expire?
- Article: The Supreme Court Rules on Searches of Cell Phones Incident to Arrest
- Article: Procedures for Searching Phones and Obtaining Records
- Article: Maintaining Seized Drugs or Paraphernalia for Training or Research Purposes
- Article: Exploring the Good Faith Exception to the Exclusionary Rule
- Article: The Current Supreme Court Term and Police Practices
- Article: Fernandez v. California: Does the Refusal to Consent to a Search of Premises by a Person with Common Authority Continue to Have Effect after the Person Is No Longer on the Premises?
- Article: Navarette v. California: The Supreme Court Rules Again on Reasonable Suspicion based on Information from Anonymous Informants
- Article: Linnon v. Commonwealth (Supreme Court of Virginia): Evaluating Custodial Relationships
- Article: Allen v. Commonwealth (Supreme Court of Virginia): Virginia Supreme Court Rules on Extent of Corroboration Necessary to Corroborate Confession in Sexual Assault Case
- Article: Amendments to the Virginia Rules of Discovery pertaining to Criminal Cases
- Article: The Use of a Drug Detection Dog to Sniff at the Front Door of a House is a Search
- Article: Detention of Persons Not Present at the Scene of a Search
- Code of Virginia Update: Concealed or Contained?
Special Feature: Supreme Court Rules on Use of GPS Devices as Searches
Article: What Is a Police-Created Exigency?
Special Feature: The Exclusionary Rule in 2009
Recent Legal Development: Searches Incident to Custodial Arrest Prohibited by Statute
Recent Legal Development: When the 6th Amendment Right to Counsel Attaches
Recent Legal Development: The Second Amendment Protects a Personal Right to Bear Arms for Self Defense
Recent Legal Development: The Death Penalty for Rape of a Child is Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Recent Legal Development: Probable Cause to Search (and Reasonable Suspicion to Frisk)
Recent Legal Development: Protective Sweep of a Home for a Weapon After an Arrest That Took Place Outside the Home
Recent Legal Development: When Has a Person Been Arrested Under the Implied Consent for a Blood Test Statute?
Recent Legal Development: Admissibility of Evidence Obtained in Execution of a Defective Search Warrant
Legal Summary: Employment Law Update
Legal Update: Criminal Procedure Update
Special Announcement: Constitutional Update Handout
Supreme Court Summary: Scott v. Harris
Legal Summary: Employment Law
- Special Feature: Public Records Management and Retention for Virginia Police Chiefs (pdf format)
- Article: The Virginia Supreme Court Issues Important Decision Concerning Application of the Exclusionary Rule to Arrests Unlawful Under State Law
- Legal Summary: Employment Law
- Announcement: from Brian Cummings, Chair of the Police Legal Advisors Committee
- Article: Is the Fourth Amendment Only About Reasonableness? Potential Implications of Samson v. California
- Legal Summaries: Criminal Procedure | Employment Law | Records
- Articles: Two Recent Supreme Court Cases Relating to the Privacy of the Home | 2006 Virginia Legislative Summary
- Legal Summaries: Criminal Procedure | Records & FOIA
- Case Summaries: Hudson v. Michigan ("Knock and Announce" Rule) | Garcetti v. Ceballos (Employee Free Speech)