Student Government Association
September 26, 2011
Call to Order - 5:03 p.m.
Approval of the Minutes – Approved
Legislative Vice President’s Report - Justin Blankenship
- Welcome - Lee is absent due to illness. Welcome to all new positions. We will meet briefly after this meeting.
- IG Committees – Internal Governance committee, everyone must participate in a “behind the scenes” committees as a duty of your position.
Executive Vice President’s Report - Emily Redd
- Retreat – Passed around were the contact sheets and office hour sign-ups for those who missed retreat. Retreat went very well. Contact VP Redd (email@example.com) with any further questions.
- Make Up Retreat – Will be next Monday, October 3rd after the SGA meeting and should not last any longer than two hours. It is MANDATORY if you did not attend the retreat Saturday.
- Ring Ceremony - Catered event for the presentation of class rings to juniors and seniors and the Outstanding Parent Awards Ceremony will be October 14th at 5:30 p.m. in the Covington Center. These are MANDATORY events. Please wear formal business attire. If you are interested in being on the committee to determine the outstanding parents, talk to VP Redd.
- Forum – Contacts will be made this week to further the committee’s efforts.
Vice President of Student Finance’s Report - Nicole Munsey
- SFC Funding Approval From Student Activities – Today in SFC, there was a one-time funding request for $2,700 for placement of additional electrical outlets in Peters for late night events and activities.
Chief of Staff’s Report - Randi-Lyn Randall
- Finishing cab/staff interviews this week – 4-6 open positions, interviews to be completed by Friday. Email Chief of Staff Randall (firstname.lastname@example.org) with interest.
- Budgets – $22,557: Current budget after $1,400 spent on office supplies and summer events.
- Young/Walker Sunday Hours of Operation – Begin asking classmates to get an idea of when they would like these buildings to be open.
Senate Reports – none
Cabinet and Staff Reports
- Coordinator Puerto
- Fall Homecoming – 2 homecomings, one for family weekend and one in January sometime. Someone is needed to pick up and hand out cupcakes for interviews of Basketball Coaches for October 14th. Sign up sheet was passed around. May become a mandatory event
- Coordinator McCoy
- Virginia21 – Organization in Richmond made up of students to make college better for students presented to state government. College debt is a major issue.
- SCHEV – State Council of Higher Education in Virginia. Let Coordinator McCoy (email@example.com) know if you would like any points to be passed along.
- Advocacy Day – trip to Richmond in February to advocate to state government. This event is open to anyone.
- Director Paoletti
- Weekly Update – will be sent out Monday which will consist of overview of events, activities or things that we want to get out to the whole student body. Email Director Paoletti (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday evening if you would like placed on the report.
- Secretary Edwards
- Office Hours Sign-In Sheet – Please Sign in on the sheet in the office to prove that you were in the office for your office hour each week. Also, please email Secretary Edwards by 2pm on Mondays if you would like to be placed on the Agenda to speak at the Senate meetings.
- Dean Appiarius
- Demonstration and Free Expression Write Ups – will be furthered discussed next week.
- Approve Senate positions – Moved, Seconded, and Tabled until next week
- Approve Nancy White for Website Administrator – Moved, Seconded, and Tabled until next week
- Approve SFC One Time Funding Request – Moved, Seconded, and tabled until next week
- Robert’s Rules and other basic procedures were briefly discussed to answer questions
- Senator Midkiff
- Committee for Tuition Increase – If anyone is interested in joining the committee, see Senator Midkiff after the meeting or email him at email@example.com.
- Dean Appiarius
- If you do not have class 9-12 and/or 2-4 on Friday, please contact Dean Appiarius (firstname.lastname@example.org) in regards to additional needed members for QEP for the betterment of the university. Student perspective is vital. Freshman and sophomores are especially needed.
Adjournment – 5:41 p.m.