Here are the top 10 reasons why being dean of the Graduate College is the best job on campus:
10) I get to work in one of the oldest, coolest and most historic buildings on campus—Lucas Hall, built in 1928.
9) We are serving the critical needs of the citizens of the commonwealth by adding three new doctoral programs and one master’s program in the allied health area in the past three years.
8) Every day brings interesting new issues and challenges that make the time seem to vanish each work day.
7) Overseeing the Office of Sponsored Programs allows me to look across campus and see all of the exciting research being conducted by our excellent faculty.
6) I get to chair the Intellectual Property Committee and assist faculty in protecting their intellectual endeavors and transferring their efforts into the marketplace.
5) As chair of the Sustainability Steering Committee, I get to see how really “green” our campus is and help in planning to make it even “greener” in the future.
4) I get to teach a Core 201 class in the Honors Academy from time to time in my area of expertise, environmental policy, which allows me to keep in touch with our undergraduate student population.
3) I get to work every day with an incredible group of dedicated professionals in the Graduate College, in the Sponsored Programs Office and in the Research Compliance Office.
2) I have the unique opportunity of working with all of the other academic deans and our new provost, who are an amazing group of academic administrators with whom it is an honor to be associated.
And the No. 1 reason why being the graduate dean is the best job on campus …
1) I get to watch our graduate students grow into true professionals and see the pride in their eyes during graduate commencement as they walk across the stage to receive their master’s and doctoral hoods, symbols of their amazing achievements.