DSNF 405: Senior Studio II
Prerequisites: DSN 402, DSNF 400, DSNF 404; passing Professional Skills Review.
Credit Hours: (3) Six hours studio
Continued production of apparel line and refinement of portfolio.
Detailed Description of Course
Topics include: target market, aesthetics, technical aspects of design and production, and trend analysis applications to apparel line development, branding.
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Students will continue developing problem solving competencies in designing and producing an apparel line through discussion, analyses, and critiques. In studio students will engage in the problem solving approaches they establish. Alternative solutions are generated through creativity and ideation exercises.
Student Goals and Objectives of the Course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will:
Demonstrate comprehension of:
1. Design process documentation, justification, and implementation, including design revision based on critique, constructive criticism, and self-reflection.
2. Target market and fashion trend information gathering and applications.
3. Apparel pre-preproduction and production processes, and documentation.
4. Aesthetic vision expression and refinement.
5. Design realization from concept to finished garment.
6. Body interactions with garment structure, function, and aesthetics, including fitting (fitting devices use and evaluation).
7. Self-directed and team-based design problem solving.
8. Presentation format functional and aesthetic drivers.
9. Design communication that reflects excellence gained from the cumulative learning process of their fashion design program of study.
Studio assignments, exercises and critiques will assess the students’ knowledge of the human form and garment fit and their ability to apply the problem solving process. Written and oral critiques, preliminary design ideas, problem solving exercises, craftsmanship and concept development comprise an integral part of the evaluation criteria for all projects.
Other Course Information
Outcomes may include:
Produce remaining ensemble from apparel line developed in Studio I (2, 3, 5, 6, 7)
Spec pack for one item from line (3, 9)
Revise past work for juried review (1, 7)
ID&F Fashion Show submission (4, 5, 6, 8, 9) (assessed as Pass/Fail)
External competition submissions (such as ITAA International Design Competition and AAFCS Design Competition) (4, 5, 6, 8, 9)
Design process documentation (1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9)
Review and Approval
June 4, 2012