DNCE 380: Advanced Jazz Dance Technique
Credit Hours: (2) Six hours technique
Prerequisite: DNCE 280
Provides continued development of the body as an instrument for jazz dance with an emphasis on technique, performance, and style.
Note(s): May be taken multiple times for credit.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
1) Advanced Jazz Dance vocabulary
b) complex rhythmic patterns
c) core strengthening
b) performance viewings
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Material is presented in the form of demonstration and repetition followed by correction, clarification and discussion of exercises. Discussion of historical and socio-cultural topics relative to the technique will be integrated. It may include guest lecturers with expertise in supplementary areas.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
At the conclusion of the course the students will be able to:
1) Perform sophisticated movement sequences comprised of advanced level dance steps
2) Demonstrate rhythmic skills and weight shifts characteristic of jazz dance
3) Improvise at an advanced level
1) Daily observation of students’ performance during class
2) Mid-term and Final evaluations
3) Class Discussion
Other Course Information
Review and Approval
New Course February, 2009
June 20, 2015