Biology / Chemistry 474
1. Catalog Entry
Credit hours (1)
Prerequisite or Corequisite: CHEM 471 or BIOL 471
This course provides experience in isolating and determining properties of biochemicals and in using important techniques of biochemical analysis.
2. Detailed Description of Course
The course is designed to provide students with experience in the use of modern biochemical laboratory techniques. The laboratory exercises include techniques such as:
1) Preparation of biological buffer solutions
2) Detection of biological molecules
3) Nucleic acid purification and characterization
4) Polymerase Chain Reaction
5) Expression and purification of proteins
6) Enzyme kinetics
7) Gel electrophoresis (protein and DNA)
8) Analysis of protein structure
9) Analysis of biological lipids
3. Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
The students are expected to work three hours per week in the laboratory. Some exercises will require more than one laboratory period. Students will be expected to maintain a complete and intelligible laboratory notebook.
4. Goals and Objectives of the Course
After successful completion of Biochemistry Laboratory, the student will be able to:
1) Demonstrate good laboratory practices and skills
2) Utilize common practices of proper record keeping
3) Demonstrate proficiency in modern biochemical laboratory techniques.
5. Assessment Measures
Assessment of the student’s success in the course is based on quality of laboratory work, maintenance of a laboratory notebook, and laboratory reports. Students may also be evaluated through their performance on a cumulative final exam.
6. Other Course Information
Review and Approval