EDET 629: Administration of Educational Media
Credit Hours: (3)
This course examines the role of media managers, specialists, and technicians in the administration of educational media programs and services.
Detailed Description of Content of Course
To examine the role and responsibilities of administrators of media programs with specific emphasis on acquisition and distribution of materials and equipment; budget and personnel management; and media selection and utilization.
1. Requirements for administration of various media facilities.
2. Requirements for administrators of media programs.
3. Designing facilities for media utilization.
4. Organizational structure of the media facility.
5. Administration of software
- Interactive media
- Print media
- Aural media
- Projected media
6. Administration of hardware
7. Administration of personnel
8. Professional support of school media programs
9. Policy and procedure for school media programs
- The ongoing media program
Detailed Description of Conduct of Course
Seminar - A series of oral presentations by the student and a formal paper concerning the school library facility will be required.
Goals and Objectives of the Course
1. To understand the proper design of a media facility
2. To understand the requirements for proper administration of professional and non-professional personnel.
3. To understand the proper methods for selection of hardware and software for a media facility.
4. To understand the requirements for proper administration all components (print and non-print) of a media program.
5. To know the requirements for evaluating and selecting hardware, print and non-print components of media facility.
6. To develop and administer a budget for a media program
7. To understand the relationship of the media facility and the total school curriculum.
8. To develop and implement instructional systems.
9. To assist in the design of an educational media facility.
In class test will be used for evaluation as well as oral presentations. Major projects will be required in facility design and budgeting. A formal paper will be required.
Other Course Information
Visits will be made to four levels of media facilities and guest presentations will be made by experts in the areas of elementary, middle secondary schools as well as the community college.
Review and Approval
Revised November, 2003