Radford University to host record-breaking Summer Bridge class
For the tenth year, the Radford University College of Science and Technology will host the Summer Bridge Program of exploration of science, technology and mathematics for high school-aged women.
Set for July 12 –17, the 2015 Summer Bridge will welcome its largest-ever class of 90 aspiring women scientists to enjoy the camp’s residential experience. While at Radford, the students from Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland, New York, Indiana and Georgia will analyze crime scenes, assess biodiversity and habitat health; investigate digital security and explore chemistry, electronics and genetics.
"Summer Bridge is a fun, intense introduction to a college atmosphere and campus living environment," said CSAT Dean Orion Rogers. "The campus and community are so helpful in helping us provide a unique opportunity to connect with these young women interested in the sciences."
In addition to the classroom activities, the students will experience fieldwork with day trips to the Selu Conservancy, Areva Nuclear Power in Lynchburg, Novozymes Biologicals in Salem, Mountain Lake in Giles County and Claytor Lake in Pulaski County. The students are led by Radford University faculty and assisted by current students.
The 2015 Summer Bridge faculty is:
- Cliff Boyd, Professor of Anthropological Sciences and Co-Director, Radford University Forensic Science Institute
- Carrie Case, instructor of mathematics and statistics
- Georgia Hammond, professor of biology
- Brenda Hastings, instructor of mathematics and statistics
- Rhett Herman, professor of physics
- Kimberly Lane, assistant professor of chemistry
- Hwajung Lee, associate professor of information technology
- Stockton Maxwell, assistant professor of geospatial science
- Elizabeth McClellan, associate professor of geology
- Sara O'Brien, assistant professor of biology
- George Stephenson, lab coordinator for the Geology Department
Scholarships will cover the cost of attendance for the entire 2015 Summer Bridge class. The 2015 Summer Bridge sponsors are:
- Areva Nuclear Power
- BAE Systems
- Cliff and Donna Boyd
- Jessie Ball DuPont Fund
- Lynchburg Community Trust
- Novozymes Biologicals
- Dale Parris MBA '85 and M.S. '12
- Harry and Zoe Poole Foundation
- Upward Bound Martinsville