The Division of Information Technology is launching the first phase of a new MyRU portal this month.
The completely reimagined portal will provide users with streamlined access to business functions within a fresh new interface. The new portal will have all of the same cosmetic changes made to the Self-Service Banner earlier this month.
Beginning Monday, Sept. 16, users may visit https://myru.radford.edu to find a link explore a beta version of the portal. Most functionality will be in place and users can complete tasks within the new portal without having to log into the old portal. Some of the significant changes include:
- Elimination of "content channels." The new, streamlined portal houses functions that require users to login to gain access to information or to complete business functions. "Content only" channels have been eliminated; users should visit departmental websites to find information about hours, upcoming events and forms that do not require authentication.
- A clean, easy-to-use interface. The new interface was designed to make it easy to navigate the portal. "Tabs" have been consolidated into pages that can be accessed by clicking on the page’s icon on the Welcome screen. The icons will make it easier to use the portal when on a mobile device (full mobile optimization of the portal is expected in a future phase of the project).
- Consolidated Quick Links. On the old portal, users had to navigate to various "tabs" to find specific Quick Links. In the new portal, look for the "Quick Links" option in the top navigation. Users will find a drop down menu that takes them to a page with Quick Links sorted by category.
- Enhancements for students. Students will be able to see all their financial information on the "Finances" page and update their contact information, their RU Alerts profile and their emergency contact information from a single portlet.
- Enhancements for faculty. Faculty will find enhanced portlets on the Teaching page. These portlets let users view their schedule at a glance. Users will also find a portlet that allows them to view a class roster or email their class – all from a single screen.
- Enhancements for employees. Employees will find portlets that allow them to submit a timecard or approve a timecard – all from the same page.