Home About Us Current Students Prospective Students Parents Advisor Resources Contact Us

Advising FAQs

Who is my Pre-Major Advisor?

You can find the name of your advisor listed on your DegreeWorks Audit found on the Academics Tab of your MyRU portal. If your advisor is listed as “Pre-major Advising Center” you can make an appointment with any of our advisors

Back to top

What should I bring to my advising appointment?

  • Bring your advising folder complete with any advising information from your previous appointments.  If this is your first appointment, a folder will be given to you.
  • Bring a print out of your current DegreeWorks audit which can be found on your MyRU portal under the Academics Tab.
  • Come prepared with a written list of questions or concerns you may have.

Back to top

I am having trouble in one of my courses, what should I do?

  • Make an appointment with the professor immediately to discuss the situation.  Your professor is a partner in your academic success and will offer important advice and referrals.
  • Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss referrals and options.
  • Make an appointment with the Learning Assistance Resource Center (LARC) for tutoring in your area of difficulty.

Back to top

Can I take a course at another college and transfer it back to Radford University?

Absolutely. However, you should first discuss and obtain permission from your advisor to make sure the course(s) will be acceptable and to learn about the process of transferring credit(s).

Back to top

What is the difference between a course drop and a course withdrawal?

You can add and drop an unlimited number of courses during the first week of classes each semester.  When a class is dropped it does not appear on your official academic transcript.

Beginning with the second week of classes, and until the 8th week of the semester, you can use a course withdrawal. You are allowed 5 withdrawals while pursuing your degree at RU. Withdrawals do appear on your transcript.  Please refer to the registrar’s withdrawal policy for more information.

Back to top

When do I need to declare my major?

There are no deadlines for declaring a major. However, we encourage students to declare their major as soon as they are ready, or prior to their sophomore year.

Back to top

What do I need to do in order to declare my major?

Declaring your major is a very easy process.  Your advisor can give you the location to take a Declaration of Major/Minor form to obtain the proper signature.

Back to top

What is the probation and suspension policy at Radford University?

The suspension and probation policy is an important policy to read and understand. Please refer to the registrar’s suspension and probation policy information page and talk with your advisor if you have any questions about how this policy could affect you.

Back to top

What a is a full-time course load?

A full-time course load for undergraduate students is 12 credit hours.

Back to top

How do I register for classes?

When it is your time to register, a REGISTER NOW button will appear in your Course Registration Channel. When you click that button, you will be taken to the Registration menu, with links that will allow you to add/drop classes, look up classes, view your registration history, and more. If you have more questions on how to register, please contact your advisor and/or view the registrar's video tutorial.

Back to top

Registration questions?

For additional registration questions, contact the Registrar's Office.

Back to top

Follow us on

Facebook Twitter