Below is the position description for the 2013-14 school year. Once we have finalized the position details for this upcoming year we will update the information below. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact Michele Jenkins.
“UNIV 100: Introduction to Higher Education” is a one-credit, first semester transition course for new students, taught during the first 10 weeks of the Fall semester. A Faculty Instructor (FI) and a Peer Instructor (undergraduate teaching partner) co-teach the course which focuses on helping students develop academic, social and personal success that will last throughout their RU academic career.
- Co-instruct a class; assisted by an undergraduate Peer Instructor (PI)
- Communicate weekly (preferably in person) with your PI
- Foster the leadership development of your PI
- Instill the course learning outcomes and cooperate with NSP in the assessment of those outcomes
- Integrate the UNIV 100 Common Syllabus content
- Incorporate the UNIV 100 textbook
- Actively engage your class in discussions
- Create a community within the class
- Encourage involvement on campus
- Hold students accountable for written assignments
- Promote and support the Success Starts Here speaker series
- Have one hour a week available for additional student help
- All Faculty Instructors will attend a 50 minute introduction session with their Peer Instructor during the week of April 21st. The teaching teams (Faculty Instructor and Peer Instructor) will complete a getting to know you activity, learn about the delivery of the course, receive their copy of the textbook and select a teaching time. The specific times and locations will be announced at a later date.
- All New Faculty Instructors will attend a May My Turn in-service to better understand the FI position, the needs of first year students, and some of the unique challenges of teaching UNIV 100.
- All Faculty Instructors should attend the August training with your Peer Instructor on Tuesday, August 19th.
- UNIV 100 teaching times are scheduled around your teaching availability
- Co-teach with RU’s finest undergraduate student leaders
- Learn the latest trends about our new students in order to assist you further in the classroom
- Facilitate and observe firsthand the tremendous rate of intellectual and personal development of students in their first semester of college
- Develop relationships with other colleagues across campus as well as with students
- Enjoy teaching an active and rejuvenating course where you can see the tremendous impact you are making on student lives during the most critical semester of their college career
- $1,000 stipend (based on one-credit, adjunct pay rate) taxed at the supplemental pay rate.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 21st
- Position Notification: Friday, April 4th