“UNIV 100: Introduction to Higher Education” is a one-credit, first semester transition course for new students, taught during the first 10 weeks of the Fall semester. A Faculty Instructor (FI) and a Peer Instructor (undergraduate teaching partner) co-teach the course which focuses on helping students develop academic, social and personal success that will last throughout their RU academic career.
- An interest in helping RU's new students
- A Master's Degree or Higher
- Certain Employment Classifications
- Classified Exempt
- A/P Faculty
- T & R Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty who are teaching 8 hours or less in the fall semester
- Co-instruct a class; assisted by an undergraduate Peer Instructor (PI)
- Communicate weekly (preferably in person) with your PI
- Foster the leadership development of your PI
- Instill the course learning outcomes and cooperate with NSP in the assessment of those outcomes
- Integrate the UNIV 100 Common Syllabus content
- Incorporate the UNIV 100 textbook
- Actively engage your class in discussions
- Create a community within the class
- Encourage involvement on campus
- Hold students accountable for written assignments
- Promote and support the Success Starts Here speaker series
- Have one hour a week available for additional student help
- All Faculty Instructors will attend a 50 minute introduction session with their Peer Instructor during the week of April 21st. The teaching teams (Faculty Instructor and Peer Instructor) will complete a getting to know you activity, learn about the delivery of the course, and preference a teaching time. The specific times and locations will be announced at a later date.
- All New Faculty Instructors will attend a May Our Turn in-service to better understand the FI position, the needs of first year students, and some of the unique challenges of teaching UNIV 100.
- All Faculty Instructors are required to attend the August training with your Peer Instructor on Tuesday, August 19th.
- UNIV 100 teaching times are scheduled around your teaching availability
- Co-teach with RU’s finest undergraduate student leaders
- Learn the latest trends about our new students in order to assist you further in the classroom
- Observe and aid in the intellectual and personal development of students in their first semester of college
- Develop relationships with other colleagues across campus as well as with students
- Enjoy teaching an active course where you can see the impact you are making on student lives during the most critical semester of their college career
- $1,000 stipend (based on one-credit, adjunct pay rate) taxed at the supplemental pay rate.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 28th
- Position Notification: Friday, April 4th