Checking Out Items
At the Front Desk, we will be happy to help you with check-outs, check-ins, renewals, and more!
How do I check out materials?
- Current student or employee: Simply present your own valid Radford University ID Card at the Front Desk. There is no separate library card—just use your RU ID.
- Retired employee: You may continue checking out materials using your Radford University ID card.
- Dependent family member of a current employee: Use your Radford University family ID card, obtainable from the RU Express office, and present it at the Front Desk.
- Virginia resident who is not affiliated with Radford University: Present a current Virginia driver’s license, or a military ID or passport along with verification of your Virginia address, at the Front Desk. (Address verification may be presented in the form of a bill, a check with a pre-printed address, or a similar document.) If you are under age 18, we require the signature and identification (presented in person) of a parent or guardian. Public patrons will be issued a New River Public Library Cooperative library card, which may also be registered at public libraries throughout the New River Valley.
- VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) student or employee: Present your current university ID card as sufficient identification. We will issue you a New River Public Library Cooperative library card, which may also be registered at public libraries throughout the New River Valley. If you are not sure if your university participates in VIVA, check here: http://www.vivalib.org/borrowing/
Can I renew materials?
Yes! Most library materials can be renewed. Be sure to renew your library materials on or before their due date in order to avoid overdue fines. Renewal requests can be made through your library account or by contacting the Front Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-831-5364.
Can someone check out materials on my behalf?
If you are a Radford University employee, and you would like to designate a specific person – such as a student worker -- to check out materials on your behalf, simply email email@example.com from your Radford University email account, and give us the following information:
- A statement saying that proxy checkout permission is granted
- Full name of proxy, and RU ID number of proxy (if applicable)
- Length of permission (just today, all semester, or permanent)
- After we receive this authorization, we will allow your proxy to check out all McConnell Library materials on your behalf, on your account. You will be held responsible for damage or loss of all items that are checked out to you, regardless of whether the checkout was made by your proxy.
- We will require your proxy to present his or her own valid identification card in order to check out materials on your behalf.
- Please note that Interlibrary Loan proxy checkout permissions are handled separately through the “Authorized Users” section of ILLiad. Giving someone proxy permission to check out McConnell Library materials will not allow him or her to check out your ILL materials.