The conditional admissions program is designed to recruit promising undergraduate international students to Radford University. Prospective undergraduate international students who meet regular admission requirements except English language may apply for conditional admission through the Language and Culture Institute at Radford University (LCI@RU).
Applicants are conditionally admitted based upon an evaluation of their high school records. Once conditionally admitted, students work toward meeting remaining admission requirements while studying in the LCI@RU Intensive English program. When conditions are met, students will be transferred into the undergraduate program to begin studies the immediately following semester.
Conditionally admitted students must complete the LCI@RU Intensive English program through Level 550 and attend this program for a minimum of one semester (two Intensive English terms).
There are 10 English proficiency levels in the program, each requiring two months of study. Students are placed upon arrival into the appropriate level based on a placement exam. Levels may not be skipped.
Students must maintain a "B" equivalent (75%) GPA. Offers of conditional admission will be revoked for students who do not successfully complete the LCI@RU study requirement.
To be competitive for conditional admission, applicants should have a high school equivalent cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. Transfer students from foreign universities are eligible on the same basis. Students must be 17 or older at the time they will begin Intensive English studies.
Students who apply for conditional admission during their senior year of high school must submit final transcripts before a formal acceptance letter will be issued by the Radford Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Offers may be revoked for students who fail to maintain GPA requirements through high school graduation.
Ineligible Program for Conditional Admissions
- Complete an application for undergraduate admissions.
- Complete the online Intensive English Program application.
- Submit high school and/or university transcripts.
- Pay the application fee of $185 ($50 undergraduate application fee plus $135 Intensive English Program application fee).
- Radford will accept a passing score on the iTEP (TOEFL equivalent test) administered by the Language and Culture Institute. TOEFL requirements are waived in lieu of successful completion of the Intensive English Program and testing standards.