The TRICARE Supplement Plan is administered by ASI and underwritten by Monumental Life Insurance Company and Transamerica Financial Life Insurance Company (NY residents only).
TRICARE-eligible employees who are also eligible for the State Health Benefits Program and are in one of the following categories may voluntarily enroll in the supplement plan:
- Military retirees with 20 years of creditable military service and entitled to retired pay and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Retired Reservists and National Guardsmen between the ages of 60 and 65 with 20 years of creditable service and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Retired Reservists and National Guardsmen under age 60 and enrolled in TRICARE Retired Reserves (TRR) and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Military retirees and their spouses/surviving spouses who reside outside the U.S. or its territories (all who are eligible for Medicare must be enrolled in Medicare).
- Military retirees and their spouses/surviving spouses age 65 or older but ineligible for Medicare (all must have received a Statement of Disallowance from Social Security Administration).
Advantages of the TRICARE Supplement Plan
- Available to all TRICARE participants regardless of rank or service
- No medical examination required for enrollment
- No pre-existing condition clause
- No supplement plan deductibles, but TRICARE deductibles apply
- Full reimbursement of the TRICARE Standard/Extra Outpatient Deductible and 50% reimbursement of the POS deductible
- Full reimbursement of the TRICARE cost shares
- Full reimbursement of the excess charge benefit (difference between the TRICARE allowed amount and the provider’s billed charge) when a nonparticipating provider is utilized
- Flexibility and freedom to see any TRICARE-authorized civilian providers
- Full portability if your enrollment with the Commonwealth of Virginia ends
- Guaranteed Issue
The TRICARE Supplement Plan works with all three TRICARE options (Standard, Extra and Prime) to pay the following benefits.
- 100 percent of the TRICARE Standard Outpatient Deductible of $150 individual (maximum $300 family)
- 100 percent TRICARE Standard/Extra cost share
- 100 precent applicable Excess Charges (when non-network providers are used)
Under the TRICARE Prime or Point of Service (POS) option, the supplement plan pays:
- 100 percent of the TRICARE Prime copayments or cost shares
- 50 percent of the POS deductible of $300 individual (maximum $600 family)
- 100 percent TRICARE Prime POS cost share
- 100 percent applicable Excess Charges
Monthly premium schedule
Employee Only - $60
Employee plus One - $119
Employee plus Two/More - $160
Making premium payments:
Monthly premiums will be payroll deducted on a pre-tax basis.
Special enrollment options:
During the special enrollment period from August 22 – September 6, you may:
- Change to the TRICARE supplement from current COVA Care or COVA High Deductible Health Plan
- Elect the TRICARE supplement from waived status
- Take no action and remain in your current health plan
Call ASI’s toll-free number at 1-866-637-9911 for an enrollment package, questions about open enrollment, or other questions about the TRICARE supplement. Get the TRICARE enrollment form online.