College of Graduate Studies and Research
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Our Master of Social Work program provides two curriculum options: “Standard” and “Advanced Standing." The Standard curriculum is 61 credits while the Advanced curriculum is 40 credits.
Applicants are only eligible to apply for the Advanced Standing option if they have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited social work program and make application within 7 seven years and have attained a minimum GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate coursework, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for all undergraduate social work coursework.
General Advanced Program Information
Advanced Standing is available only to students whose undergraduate degree in social work or social welfare was from an undergraduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education at the time the degree was awarded, and received in the within 7 years of application. If your undergraduate degree was in a field other than social work you are not eligible for Advanced Standing.
Eligible applicants may apply to the Advanced Standing program and, if not accepted, will automatically be considered for the Standard Program.
Students who are accepted into the Advanced Standing program will be required to register for the Bridge Courses (summer for Radford campus). Classes will be offered on Saturdays (June and July in Radford) with additional work done online. Students who plan on attending the Advanced Standing program should be aware that these courses are mandatory and attendance will be required on Saturdays.
Full-Time Plan of Study
4 semesters, 40 credits
|Summer (1)||Fall (1)||Spring (1)||Summer (2)|
|SW 678||SW 682||SW 761||Elective|
|SW 679||SW 772||SW 784||Elective|
|SW 783||SW 785|
|SW 791 (5)||SW 792 (5)|
Part-Time Plan of Study
6 semesters, 40 credits
|Summer (1)||Fall (1)||Spring (1)|
|SW 678||SW 682||SW 761|
|SW 679||SW 772||Elective|
|Summer (2)||Fall (2)||Spring (2)|
|Elective||SW 783||SW 784|
|SW 791 (5)||SW 785|
|SW 792 (5)|
- SW 678: Advanced Standing Bridge Course I
- SW 679: Advanced Standing Bridge Course II
- SW 682: Biopsychosocial assessment
- SW 772: Research II
- SW 783: Social Work Practice III
- SOWK 784: Social Work Practice IV
- SW 791/792: Concentration Practice & Seminar I & II (5 credits each)
- SW 761: Social Welfare Policy II
- SW 785: Integrative seminar