Radford University has deployed the Blackboard/ConnectED Alert Notification System and is now accessible through the Radford university web portal. The system allows university students, faculty, and staff to sign-up and receive emergency messages, severe weather notifications, and campus closings and delay information. These messages are relayed through multiple mediums including, telephone, email, and text messaging. The RU Alert System will also be used in the event of severe weather or to announce delayed campus opening or closing.
Follow the instructions below to sign up for RU Alerts.
- Visit the RU Portal Page and log in using your user ID and password. You will need to be logged in to see the RU Alert Services link.
- After logging in, click on the My Accounts tab. In this view you will see the Emergency Notification System sign up box.
- In this box you will be able to enter the notification information. Click on the Edit Your Contacts link. Please review your individual entry descriptions.
Individual entry descriptions refer to the following:
- Primary Phone Number: This is normally your cell or home phone where you would receive alert phone and text messages.
- Email: This is for your email that is NOT AN RU EMAIL. Radford University will send a separate email through the RU email system if an alert or emergency information is initiated.
- Text Number: If this is the same as your cell phone number click the box to the right titled Same as Phone Number. If a text message number is different enter the number here. Also enter your cell phone provider.
- Alternative emergency phone/email contact: This is a secondary phone contact that, for many students, is a parent or family member. In some instances, for married graduate students, it may be a spouse home, work, or cell number.
- Submit or cancel your submission: If you leave the university or wish to remove your contact information please ensure you come back into the system and check Remove me from the emergency contact system.
If you have additional questions about signing up for RU Alerts, please call the Office of Emergency Preparedness at 540-831-7155 or 540-831-6696.