The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Design Thinking graduate degree program is a 100% online, terminal degree program that provides students with in-depth experiences in using the design process to solve complex problems. While enrolled in this graduate program, students participate in interdisciplinary teams using creative and multifaceted design methodologies that address international issues.
A 60-credit program, the MFA in Design Thinking provides an approach that focuses on:
- The theories and methods relative to creative cognition - design thinking;
- The historical and political context of design - design history;
- The science of design grounded in research and scholarship - design research;
- The dynamics of team work and management - design management; and
- The experimental opportunities in virtual studios with team-based solutions - design doing.
Students can complete the MFA in Design Thinking degree in two years if enrolled as a full-time student or four years if enrolled as a part-time student.
Our graduate degree in design thinking program is unique.
- Radford University’s MFA in Design Thinking is a 100% online graduate program designed to augment any bachelor or master’s degree.
- Students are not required to have a degree in design to enroll in the program.
- The degree can be completed in two years as a full-time student or in four years as a part-time student.
- As a terminal degree (similar to a PhD or doctorate), an MFA in Design Thinking not only prepares graduates for professional careers but also prepares students to teach in higher education.
- Design Thinking is a process highly valued in the business community. The MFA in Design Thinking program is often compared to an executive MBA program and positions graduates well for leadership positions in a variety of industries.
- The MFA in Design Thinking is taught by designers who are experts in problem-solving strategies.
Our graduate degree in design thinking suits almost any professional.
The MFA in Design Thinking is ideally suited for students who are seeking to advance their professional careers by obtaining the education and skills needed to design methodologies that address international and domestic issues. Akin to an executive MBA program, the MFA in Design Thinking prepares its graduates for leadership roles in a variety of industries – not just fields typically associated with design.
Some of the potential career opportunities for graduates of the MFA in Design Thinking program include:
- Team leader
An MFA in Design Thinking opens doors for graduates with a variety of different backgrounds and undergraduate degrees. The MFA in Design Thinking at Radford enables graduates to be leaders in business and industry because of their unique skills and experiences. Additionally, because this is a terminal degree, graduates from this program are able to teach in higher education.