Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Safety and Security
- Department of Information Technology
- Forensic Science Institute
- Geospatial Science
- MS in Data And Information Management
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
TRSS Analyst Intern
Thomson Reuters Special Services is seeking qualified undergraduate and graduate students for a summer internship. TRSS has a team-based culture where multiple inputs are valued and interns are challenged to think beyond the obvious. The organization strives to achieve professional and technical excellence, build lasting professional relationships, and make a difference in society. The internship program is open to students representing multiple academic disciplines, eager to enhance their analytical, investigative, and technical skills.
During a 12 week internship the student will have the opportunity to work on various initiative based teams that focus on intelligence and law enforcement issues. Generally, duties involve assisting in analysis and reporting of data collected from a variety of sources to produce analytical reports, incident briefs on various activities, and threat assessments on organized groups.
- Research various aspects of intelligence and law enforcement-based cases and illicit behavior (e.g., predictive analysis, trends, forecasting, and early warnings).
- Examine analytical sources and create summaries of pertinent data.
- Assist in the development of comprehensive training exercises and scenarios.
- Develop and extending resource materials for TRSS in topical areas such as open sources, TRSS proprietary sources of information, foreign language resources, and international and domestic terrorism crimes or counter terrorism.
Some duties within TRSS are more technical in nature, and as such, applicants with a sound, technical background are desired but not required. These duties may include writing scripts to automate processes (e.g. PERL, Python, shell scripts) and creating small applications that help other analysts conduct intelligence assessments. Students with knowledge of IRC, Mac OS X, P2P, and visual analytic software may have an opportunity to work on special projects.
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program pursuing a related degree at an accredited college or university. Related degrees include international studies, political science, intelligence studies, computer science, information security, criminal justice, and language studies or a related field. Other majors are considered on a case by case basis.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- Student must be a US Citizen, 18 years of age, meet the same employment standards as permanent employees, and be able to provide his/her own transportation.
Knowledge and skills
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability and experience developing formal presentations in a professional manner
- Intermediate to advanced broad based computer skills including MS Office suite
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Foreign language skills desirable
- Monday - Friday, 20-40 hours a week
- 12+ week internship (May-Sept)