College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Dr. 'Shawn Smith
Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice
- Ph.D., Old Dominion University
- M.A., Old Dominion University
- B.S., West Virginia University
Dr. Smith joined the Radford University faculty in 2016.
Fall 2017 Schedule
- CRJU-691, Crime and Public Policy, 6:30 — 9:30 p.m., M
- CRJU-385, Research Methods, 3:30 – 4:45/5 — 6:15 p.m., MW
Office Hours: 9 a.m. – noon, Tuesday
Dr. 'Shawn Smith is a Criminologist and Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice. His primary research interests mainly center around social capital, social networking theories in crime, sentencing inequality, crime mapping, urban/rural dichotomies in crime theory and advanced research procedures. His current research involves: 1.) ongoing studies of urban and rural dynamics in patterns between social capital and crime rates in the U.K., and 2.) correlations between digital social capital and online victimization.
Recent Professional Activities
Dr. Smith is a regular participant at the Annual Conference for the American Society of Criminology. His current research involves: 1.) ongoing studies of urban and rural dynamics in patterns between social capital and crime rates in the U.K., 2.) correlations between digital social capital and "romance" victimization online, and 3.) illustrating spatial patterns in DMC data throughout Virginia.