College of Education and Human Development
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Middle School Education
The middle school teacher preparation program at Radford University recognizes its role in developing culturally-responsive teachers who honor the strength and potential of the individual, the school, and the community who serve as agents of change.
Graduates of our program are recognized for:
- their understanding of the importance of multiple perspectives in a multicultural world
- their ability to use the backward design process in creating learning environments which meet the needs of diverse student populations
- their commitment to intellectual curiosity and on-going professional development
- their advocacy of technology as a tool to enhance learning in the classroom
- their expertise in implementing research-based practices across the curriculum
- their ability to develop connections among parents, school, and community
Becoming a middle school teacher provides an opportunity to impact and challenge students in grades 6-8. Effective teaching begins with knowledge and appreciation of early adolescent development. Collaborating within a team allows the teacher to create a learning community which connects students and parents with the school and communicates caring and high expectations. In addition to having a strong background in at least two content areas, the teacher plans and implements interdisciplinary instruction.
Duties of the middle school educator include being able to develop appropriate relationships with students, plan and implement relevant instruction, assess student progress, and work collaboratively with parents, teachers, administrators, and students to ensure success.
Employment rates of Radford University's graduates exceed the 95 percentile.