The Credentialing Process consists of the following:
- BS or BA degree with completion of a Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE) accredited DPD program with a "verification statement" granted by the DPD program;
- Completion of an accredited post-baccalaureate CADE Dietetic Internship, which includes a minimum of 1200 hours of supervised practice experience
- Passing score on the Registration Exam for Dietitians administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Students are awarded a Verification Statement when they complete their Bachelor of Science (BS) degree and all major (NUTR) courses with a grade of “C” or above. The Verficiation Statement is required for entrance into the Dietetic Internship.
Strong candidates for Dietetic Internships typically have:
- 3.0 GPA or better
- Significant work or volunteer experience in dietetics, perhaps 100 hours
- Excellent letters of recommendation from faculty and dietitians
- Experiences in dietetics such as giving lectures in the community, or activities with the RU Student Dietetic Association
For more information about the path to becoming a Registered Dietitian contact the American Dietetic Association.